The Cambridge introduction to Christopher Marlowe [electronic resource] / Tom Rutter.
- Cambridge, UK ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Cambridge Introductions to Literature
Cambridge Introductions to Literature
1 online resource (168 p.)
- Marlowe, Christopher, 1564-1593 -- Criticism and interpretation -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Electronic books.
- This detailed and approachable account of Marlowe's life and career discusses his plays and poetry, stage history and influence.
- Cover; The Cambridge Introduction to Christopher Marlowe; Title; Copyright; Contents; Illustrations; Preface; Key dates; Chapter 1: Life and historical contexts; Canterbury: birth and early education; Cambridge and the translations of Ovid; 'Good service' and 'faithful dealing'; London: the success of Tamburlaine; Brushes with the law; Marlowe and patronage; Marlowe, atheism and the Baines note; Chapter 2: Tamburlaine, Parts One and Two; 1580s drama and its influence; What's new about Tamburlaine?; Mighty lines; Words and power; Tamburlaine, politics and religion; Judging Tamburlaine
Sequel-itis?Chapter 3: Doctor Faustus; The 'Faust Book'; Renaissance magic and science; The Protestant Reformation; Focus on Scene 7: 'When I behold the heavens'; Power and theatre; Audience response and the two texts of Doctor Faustus; Chapter 4: The Jew of Malta and The Massacre at Paris; Machiavel and Vice in The Jew of Malta; The Machiavel in The Massacre at Paris; Religion, race and nationality; The place of the audience; Chapter 5: Edward II; History; Sexuality, gender and status; Late Marlowe?; Chapter 6: Dido, Queen of Carthage and Marlowe's poetry; Ovid; Dido, Queen of Carthage
Lucan'The Passionate Shepherd to His Love'; Hero and Leander; Chapter 7: Marlowe's afterlives; Marlowe in the early modern period; Marlowe on stage: The Jew of Malta, Doctor Faustus, Tamburlaine and Dido; Marlowe in other media: Edward II and A Dead Man in Deptford; Bibliography; Marlowe's life; Criticism; Index; Cambridge Introductions to ...; Authors; Topics
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|