The future of the academic journal / edited by Bill Cope, Angus Phillips ; contributors IJsbrand Jan Aalbersberg [and twenty nine others].
- Second edition.
- Oxford, England : Chandos Publishing, 2014.
- Chandos information professional series.
Chandos Information Professional Series
1 online resource (479 p.)
- Scholarly periodicals.
- Electronic books.
- System Details:
- text file
- The world of the academic journal continues to be one of radical change. A follow-up volume to the first edition of The Future of the Academic Journal, this book is a significant contribution to the debates around the future of journals publishing. The book takes an international perspective and looks ahead at how the industry will continue to develop over the next few years. With contributions from leading academics and industry professionals, the book provides a reliable and impartial view of this fast-changing area. The book includes various discussions on the future of journals, inc
- Cover; The Future of the Academic Journal; Copyright; Contents; List of figures and tables; Figures; Tables; About the editors; About the contributors; 1:Introduction; The journal online; Open access; Scholarly communication; References; 2:Changing knowledge ecologies and the transformation of the scholarly journal; The knowledge business; Forces of epistemic disruption; Breaking point 1: how knowledge is made available; Breaking point 2: designing knowledge credibly; Breaking point 3: evaluating knowledge, once designed; Framing knowledge futures; Concluding questions; References
3:Sustaining the 'Great Conversation': the future of scholarly and scientific journalsIntroduction: the 'Great Conversation' of science; A bit of history; Going digital, and its consequences: the rise of non-commercial electronic journals; Peering into the future; Conclusion; Notes; 4:Academic journals in a context of distributed knowledge; Introduction; Institutional and subject-based repositories; From linguistic and disciplinary monopoly to the pluralism of languages and cultures; The Popperian model of knowledge; Journals as innovation in assembly; Conclusion; Notes; References
5:Business models in journals publishingThe characteristics of the journals business; The life cycle of a journal; Pricing; Cost structure; Subscription model; Alternative business models; Open access; Future of business models; References; 6:The growth of journals publishing; Introduction; A historical perspective; Recent growth in the number of titles; Changes in the number of articles and length of articles; Online journals; The growth of electronic journals; Predictions for the future; Acknowledgements; References; 7:The post-Gutenberg open access journal; The classical learned journal
Publishing for income vs. publishing for impactTrade publishing; Gutenberg toll-access; Reprint requests and author give-aways; Access barriers and impact barriers; The post-Gutenberg galaxy; Open access (and almost open access); Universal green open access may eventually make subscriptions unsustainable; Gold open access publishing; Would pay-to-publish lower peer-review standards?; Improving the efficiency of peer review while lowering its price; Peer feedback after posting instead of peer filtering before publishing?
The post-Gutenberg journal: optimal and inevitable for research and researchersReferences; 8:How the rise of open access is altering journal publishing; How the rise of open access is altering journal publishing; The independent origins of open access; Self-archiving open access; Open access journal publishing; Open access independent journal publishing; Open access scholarly society journal publishing; Commercial publishers' open access; Conclusion; Acknowledgement; Notes; References; 9: Gold open access: the future of the academic journal?; Growth of OA
The mega and cascade journal concepts
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Cope, Bill, editor.
Phillips, Angus, editor.
Aalbersberg, IJsbrand Jan, contributor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|