Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World : Historical Trends in Mortality and Health, Employment, and Disability Insurance Participation and Reforms / David A. Wise.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 
- NBER-Conference Report
National Bureau of Economic Research Conference Report
1 online resource (470 p.)
- Disability insurance.
Older people -- Health and hygiene.
Retirement -- Economic aspects.
- Electronic books.
- In nearly every industrialized country, large aging populations and increased life expectancy have placed enormous pressure on social security programs-and, until recently, the pressure has been compounded by a trend toward retirement at an earlier age. With a larger fraction of the population receiving benefits, in coming decades social security in many countries may have to be reformed in order to remain financially viable. This volume offers a cross-country analysis of the effects of disability insurance programs on labor force participation by older workers. Drawing on measures of health that are comparable across countries, the authors explore the extent to which differences in the labor force are determined by disability insurance programs and to what extent disability insurance reforms are prompted by the circumstances of a country's elderly population.
National Bureau of Economic Research
Relation of the Directors to the Work and Publications of the National Bureau of Economic Research
Introduction and Summary
1. Disability, Health, and Retirement in the United Kingdom
2. Disability Insurance, Population Health, and Employment in Sweden
3. Health, Disability, and Pathways into Retirement in Spain
4. Health Status, Welfare Programs Participation, and Labor Force Activity in Italy
5. Disability Programs, Health, and Retirement in Denmark since 1960
6. Disability in Belgium: There Is More Than Meets the Eye
7. Disability, Pension Reform, and Early Retirement in Germany
8. Disability and Social Security Reforms: The French Case
9. Disability Insurance Programs in Canada
10. The Long- Run Growth of Disability Insurance in the United States
11. Disability Pension Program and Labor Force Participation in Japan: An Historical Perspective
12. Disability Insurance and Labor Market Exit Routes of Older Workers in the Netherlands
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Apr 2020)
- Wise, David A., editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226921952 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|