The Environments of the Poor in Southeast Asia, East Asia and the Pacific / Aris Ananta, Armin Bauer, Myo Thant.
- Singapore : ISEAS Publishing, 
1 online resource (316 p.)
- Climatic changes -- Asia.
Poor -- Asia.
Poor -- Pacific Area.
Human ecology -- Asia.
Human ecology -- Pacific Area.
Climatic changes -- Pacific Area.
- Electronic books.
- This book provides examples of possible triple-win solutions for simultaneously reducing poverty, raising the quality of the environment, and adapting to climate change. The book provides empirical evidence and observations from sixteen case studies in Southeast and East Asia, and from the Pacific. It argues that a spatial approach focussing on the environments in which the poor and vulnerable live, would trigger changes for development policies and implementation that better balance environmental and social concerns. In line with the post-2015 Millennium Development Goals (MDG) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) agenda, emphasizing integrated development approaches for the slum poor, the upland poor, the dryland poor, the coastal poor, and the flood-affected wetland poor, would also bring the environment and poverty agenda closer. The book emerged from a cooperation of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) with the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS) in partnership with experts from research institutes and think-tanks in the Asian region.
List of Contributors
1. A New Triple-Win Option for the Environment of the Poor / Ananta, Aris / Bauer, Armin / Thant, Myo
II. East Asia (People's Republic of China and Republic of Korea)
2. Poverty, Environment, and Climate Change in the Grasslands of China / Yenhu, Tsui
3. Climate Change, Food Security, and Poverty in the People's Republic of China / Gubo, Qi
4. The Physical and Social Environment of the Chinese 46 Urban Poor / Walker, Wendy / Gupta, Madhumita / Roberts, Daniel
5. Benefiting the Poor, the Environment, and the Private Sector with Small Enterprises and Green Jobs in the People's Republic of China / Sasaki, Satoshi
6. Environment, Economic Growth, and Poverty in the Republic of Korea / Kim, Yong-Seong
III. Pacific Islands
7. Climate Change Adaptation and Poverty Reduction in Small Islands of the Pacific / Jokhan, Anjeela / Lal, Murari
8. The Role of Development Organizations in Pro-Poor Adaptation to Global Warming in the Pacific Islands / Bullen, Paul
IV. Mainland Southeast Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam)
9. Poverty and the Environment in Rural Cambodia / Kimsun, Tong / Bopharath, Sry
10. Conservation Agriculture in Cambodia / Boulakia, Stephane / Vuth, Pen / Vathana, Sann / Chabierski, Stephane / Gilard, Olivier
11. Voices of the Poor on Climate Change in Thailand and Vietnam / Waibel, Hermann / Tongruksawattana, Songporne / Voelker, Marc
12. Poor Thai Farmers' Adaptation to Climate Change / Jitsuchon, Somchai
V. Archipelagic Southeast Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines)
13. The Political Economy of Environmental Policy in Indonesia / Patunru, Arianto A.
14. Prospering in Environmental Degradation: An Illustration from an Upland Area, South Kalimantan, Indonesia / Ananta, Aris / Fadillah, Haris / Yunani, Ahmad / Adliansyah, Gusti Fahmi / Adhinata, Danang
15. Making a Living in the Face of Environmental Change / Kiong, Wong Swee / Kee, Ling How
16. The Response of Rural Coastal Households to Typhoon Milenyo in the Philippines / Estudillo, Jonna P.
17. Life Along Manila's Flooding Rivers / Porio, Emma
18. Quantifying the Health Risks from Pathogens in the Flood Water in Metro Manila / Nga, Tran Thi Viet / Fukushi, Kensuke
19. Slum Poverty in the Philippines: Can the Environment Agenda Drive Public Action? / Ballesteros, Marife
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Institute of Southeast Asian Studies.
Asian Development Bank.
Ananta, Aris, editor.
Bauer, Armin, editor.
Thant, Myo, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1355/9789814519007 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|