Making a difference? : social assessment policy and praxis and its emergence in China / edited by Susanna Price and Kathryn Robinson.
- New York ; Oxford, [England] : berghahn, 2015.
- Asia Pacific studies.
Asia-Pacific Studies: Past and Present
1 online resource (315 p.)
- Economic development projects -- Social aspects -- China.
Social planning -- China.
Needs assessment -- China.
Public welfare -- China.
China -- Social policy.
China -- Economic policy.
- Electronic books.
- Social assessment for projects in China is an important emerging field. This collection of essays - from authors whose formative work has influenced the policies that shape practice in development-affected communities - locates recent Chinese experience of the development of social assessment practices (including in displacement and resettlement) in a historical and comparative perspective. Contributors - social scientists employed by international development banks, national government agencies, and sub-contracting groups - examine projects from a practitioner's perspective. Real-life experi
- Contents; Figures and Tables; Preface; Abbreviations; Introduction - Making Economic Growth Socially Sustainable?; Part I - Engaged Social Research in Shifting Development Narratives; Introduction to Part I; 1 - Landmarks in Development: The Introduction of Social Analysis; 2 - Social Science and the Mining Sector: Contemporary Roles and Dilemmas for Engagement; 3 - Practising Social Development: Navigating Local Contexts to Benefit Local Communities; 4 - Striving for Good Practice: Unpacking AusAID's Approach to Community Development
5 - Seeds of Life: Social Research for Improved Farmer Yields in Timor-LestePart II - Applying Sociological Knowledge in China; Introduction to Part II; 6 - Social Assessment in China: Progress and Application in Domestic Development Projects; 7 - Turning Risks into Opportunities? Social Assessment as Governmental Techologies; 8 - Participatory Monitoring of Development Projects in China; 9 - How Social Assessment Could Improve Conservation Policy and Projects: Cases from Pastoral Management in China
10 - Improving Social Impact Assessment and Participatory Planning to Identify and Manage Involuntary Resettlement Risks in the People's Republic of China11 - Stakeholder Participation in Rural Land Acquisition in China: A Case Study of the Resettlement Decision-making Process; Conclusion; Contributors; Glossary; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Price, Susanna (Social development specialist), editor.
Robinson, Kathryn May, 1949- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|