Hegel's naturalism [electronic resource] : mind, nature, and the final ends of life / Terry Pinkard.
- New York ; Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2012.
1 online resource (226 p.)
- Hegel, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich, 1770-1831.
- Electronic books.
- Terry Pinkard draws on Hegel's central works as well as his lectures on aesthetics, the history of philosophy, and the philosophy of history in this deeply informed and original exploration of Hegel's naturalism. As Pinkard explains, Hegel's version of naturalism was in fact drawn from Aristotelian naturalism: Hegel fused Aristotle's conception of nature with his insistence that the origin and development of philosophy has empirical physics as its presupposition. As a result, Hegel found that, although modern nature must be understood as a whole to be non-purposive, there is nonetheless a plac
- Cover; Contents; Acknowledgments; Preface; Introduction; PART ONE; 1. Disenchanted Aristotelian Naturalism; A: HEGEL' S ARISTOTELIAN TURN; B: FROM ANIMAL SUBJECTIVITY TO HUMAN SUBJECTIVITY; C: ANIMAL LIFE AND THE WILL; 2. Self-Consciousness in the Natural World; A: ANIMAL AND HUMAN AWARENESS; B: CONSCIOUSNESS OF THE WORLD; C: SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS; PART TWO; 3. The Self-Sufficient Good; A: ACTUALIZED AGENCY. THE SUBLATION OF HAPPINESS; B: THE ACTUALLY FREE WILL; C: THE IMPOSSIBILITY OF AUTONOMY AND THE "IDEA" OF FREEDOM; D: BEING AT ONE WITH ONESELF AS A SELF-SUFFICIENT FINAL END
4. Inner Lives and Public OrientationA: FAILURE IN FORMS OF LIFE; B: THE PHENOMENOLOGY OF A FORM OF LIFE; C: GREEK TENSIONS, GREEK HARMONY; D: EMPIRE AND THE INNER LIFE; 5. Public Reasons, Private Reasons; A: ENLIGHTENMENT AND INDIVIDUALISM; B: MORALITY AND PRIVATE REASONS; C: ETHICAL LIFE AND PUBLIC REASONS; 6. The Inhabitability of Modern Life; A: ALIENATION; B: POWER. THE LIMITS OF MORALITY IN POLITICS; 7. Conclusion: Hegel as a Post-Hegelian; A: SELF-COMPREHENSION; B: FINAL ENDS?; Bibliography; Index; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; R; S; T; W; Y
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (viewed on Mar. 5, 2012).
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|