Justice and leadership in early Islamic courts / edited by Intisar A. Rabb and Abigail Krasner Balbale.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Islamic Legal Studies Program, Harvard Law School, 2017.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Distributed by the Harvard University Press
- Harvard series in Islamic law ; 7.
Harvard series in Islamic law ; VII
xvii, 241 pages : illustrations, portrait ; 24 cm.
- Islamic courts -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Justice, Administration of (Islamic law) -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Islamic law -- Interpretation and construction -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Islamic leadership -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Islamic law -- Interpretation and construction.
Justice, Administration of (Islamic law).
Mottahedeh, Roy P., 1940-.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
Conference papers and proceedings.
- I. Judicial procedure and practice during the founding period of Islamic law. Section introduction / William Graham
Chapter 1. The logic of excluding testimony in early Islam / Ahmed El Shamsy
Chapter 2. Circumstantial evidence in the administration of Islamic justice / Hossein Modarressi
Chapter 3. The curious case of Bughaybigha, 661-883 : land and leadership in early Islamic societies / Intisar A. Rabb
Chapter 4. A critique of adjudication : formative moments in early Islamic legal history / Nahed Samour
II. Concepts of justice in the ʻAbbāsid East. Section introduction / Intisar A. Rabb & Abigail Krasner Balbale
Chapter 5. Words of ʻajam in the world of Arab : translation and translator in early Islamic judicial procedure / Mahmood Kooria
Chapter 6. The Judge and the judge : the heavenly and earthly court of justice in early Islam / Christian Lange
Chapter 7. Justice, judges, and the law in three Arabic mirrors for princes, 8th-11th centuries / Louise Marlow
III. Judges and judicial practice in the Islamic West: Section introduction / Michael Cook
Chapter 8. Joking judges : a view from the medieval Islamic West / Maribel Fierro
Chapter 9. Judicial procedure and legal practice on liʻān (imprectory oath) in al-Andalus : evidence from model shurūṭ collections, 11th-12th Centuries / Delfina Serrano
Supplement: Reading with Roy : the scholarly output of Professor Roy Mottahedeh: Section introduction / Cemal Kafadar.
- "The papers in this volume largely arise out of proceedings from a conference organized in honor of Professor Roy Mottahedeh upon the occasion of his retirement"--Page viii.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 204-230) and index.
- Harvard Law School. Islamic Legal Studies Program, issuing body.
Rabb, Intisar A., editor.
Balbale, Abigail Krasner, editor.
Mottahedeh, Roy P., 1940- honouree.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|