Jakob Tuggener : Bücher und Filme = books and films / herausgegeben von = edited by Martin Gasser ; mit Texten von = with text contributions by Martin Gasser, Severin Rüegg, Maria Euphemia Tuggener.
- Other Title:
- Bücher und Filme
Books and films
- First edition.
- Göttingen : Steidl ; Winterthur : Fotostiftung Schweiz, 2017.
13 volumes : illustrations (some color), facsimiles, portraits ; 35 cm + 2 DVDs (4 3/4 in.) + 11 sheets
- Tuggener, Jakob -- Exhibitions.
Photography, Artistic -- Exhibitions.
Documentary photography -- Switzerland -- Exhibitions.
Black-and-white photography -- Exhibitions.
Short films -- Switzerland -- Exhibitions.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Place of Publication:
- Germany Göttingen.
- In German and English.
- Jakob Tuggener's key photographic motifs were conditions in the factory, simple life in the countryside and the glamour of high society. At the same time Tuggener was fascinated by railroads, ports, ships, car races and airshows. Through photography he sought to capture all facets of modern life in a world between dark factories and glittering ballrooms. From the mid-1930s Tuggener made book maquettes of all these subjects, each crafted meticulously by hand and featuring up to 150 original photos. None of these was published in his lifetime except Fabrik in 1943, his seminal Bildepos der Technik which has formed the basis of his international reputation and was reprinted by Steidl in 2011. Many of Tuggener's subjects are also the focus of his short films, whose style oscillates between the documentary and fantasy. 'Books and films' comprises facsimiles of twelve of Tuggener's original maquettes, dating from 1936 to 1982, as well as a selection of his 16mm films on DVD. Both these silent black-and-white films and his photobooks contain no text, just as he intended. Exhibition: Fotostifung Schweiz, Winterthur, Switzerland (21.10.2017-28.01.2018).
- [v. 1] Jakob Tuggner : Bücher und Filme = books and films
[v. 2] Die Insel der verlorenen Schiffe (1936)
[v. 3] Holzhäuser am Thunersee (1941)
[v. 4] Polen-Wache (1942)
[v. 5] Uri, Schwyz (1943)
[v. 6] Sullana, Maag, Tornos, Bührle, MFO, Escher Wyss (um 1943)
[v. 7] Uf em Land, 1935-1945 (1953)
[v. 8] Schwarzes Eisen, 1935-1950 (1950)
[v. 9] Grand Prix Bern für Automobile und Motorräder, 1936-50 (1982)
[v. 10] Die Maschinenzeit, 1942-1951 (1952)
[v. 11] Im Hafen von Antwerpen und Rotterdam (1953)
[v. 12] Ballnächte (Das Kolosseum), 1934-1959 (1959)
[v. 13] Die Eisenbahn II (1967).
- On the occasion of an exhibition held at the Fotostiftung Schweiz, Winterthur, October 21, 2017 - January 28, 2018.
"Published in cooperation with Fotostiftung Schweiz and the Jakob Tuggener Foundation"--Colophon.
DVD titles: 14 Filme (Stummfilme) = 14 films (silent films) ; 2 Filme mit Musik von Ulrich Gasser = 2 films with music by Ulrich Gasser.
Volumes 2-4 and 6-13 each include a sheet with captions for the photographs in the respective volume.
All volumes housed together in wooden case.
Includes bibliographical references and filmography.
- Local notes:
- Fine Arts Rare copy purchased for the Penn Libraries in 2018 from Otto Harrassowitz.
- Penn Chronology:
- Gasser, Martin, 1955-
Tuggener, Maria Euphemia.
Stiftung für die Photographie (Switzerland)
Stiftung für die Photographie (Switzerland).
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|