Speech/acts / curated by Meg Onli ; organized and presented by the Institute of Contemporary Art, Univesrity of Pennsylvania.
- Other Title:
- Speech acts
- First edition.
- New York, NY ; Philadelphia, PA : Futurepoem Books ; Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania,  , ©2017
- United States : Shapco Printing Inc.
175 pages : illustrations ; 19 cm
- Experimental poetry, American -- Exhibitions.
American poetry -- African American authors -- Influence -- Exhibitions.
Poetry and the arts -- Exhibitions.
Experimental poetry, American.
Poetry and the arts.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Speech/Acts' brings together new and recent works by a generation of artists influenced by black experimental poetry. Recognizing language as a primary method of expressing and maintaining power, these artists use poetry as a tool to manipulate the conceptual and structural elements of language and the social contexts in which language is employed, appropriated and abstracted. Artists Jibade-Khalil Huffman, Steffani Jemison, Tony Lewis, Tiona Nekkia McClodden, Kameelah Janan Rasheed and Martine Syms all use experimental poetry in their work as a means to interrogate the power structures of language, rendering the experience of blackness more physically and affectively exact. In this volume, their work is presented alongside their poetic forerunners (seminal texts by Fred Moten and Harryette Mullen are reprinted), newly commissioned poetry by Morgan Parker and Simone White, and a new essay by curator Meg Onli.
- Foreword / Amy Sadao
Acknowledgements / Meg Onli
Cracks between what we are and what we are supposed to be / Harryette Mullen
Speech, acts. / Meg Onli
Four / Simone White
Blackness and poetry / Fred Moten
Toward a new theory of negro propaganda / Morgan Parker.
- Published on the occasion of the exhibition Speech/Acts held at the Institute of Contemporary Art at University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, September13-December 23. 2017.
Edition of 1000.
Includes bibliographical references.
- Onli, Meg, curator.
University of Pennsylvania. Institute of Contemporary Art.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|