Van Gogh & Japan / Louis van Tilborgh, Nienke Bakker, Cornelia Homburg, Tsukasa Kōdera, Chris Uhlenbeck ; with a contribution by Claire Guitton.
- Standardized Title:
- Van Gogh & Japan. English.
- Other Title:
- Van Gogh and Japan
- Amsterdam, the Netherlands : Van Gogh Museum ; Sapporo, Japan : Hokkaidō Shimbun Press ; Brussels, Belgium : Mercatorfonds,  , ©2018
- New Haven, Connecticut : Yale University Press
- Ghent, Belgium : Graphius
200 pages : color illustrations, portraits ; 30 cm
- Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890 -- Exhibitions.
Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890 -- Criticism and interpretation.
Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890 -- Themes, motives.
Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890 -- Japanese influences -- Exhibitions.
Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890.
Painting, Dutch -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Post-impressionism (Art) -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.
Ukiyoe -- Europe -- Influence -- 19th century.
21.02 history of painting.
20.05 art in relation with other areas of culture: general.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- Place of Publication:
- Netherlands North Holland Amsterdam.
Japan Hokkaido Sapporo.
Belgium Brussels Brussels.
- Translation of the Dutch edition, which included material translated from Japanese. It is not identical to the English edition published in Japan. Also issued in a French language edition.
Text in English.
- Vincent van Gogh's (1853-1890) encounter with Japanese ukiyo-e prints during his time in Paris was decisive for the direction that his art would take in the years to come. He enthusiastically assembled a collection of the prints with the idea of dealing in them, and soon was captivated by their colorful and cheerful imagery and style, which began to exert a dramatic influence on his own work. Gradually this enchanted world became his main artistic reference point. From then on, he positioned himself as an artist in the Japanese tradition in order to gain a reputation with the avant-garde of the day. This gorgeous publication offers a detailed reassessment of the impact Japanese printmaking had on Van Gogh's creative output. Featuring essays by the world's leading Van Gogh experts, this book details the ways in which the artist constructed his understanding of a Japanese aesthetic and his utopian ideal of a so-called primitive society, and incorporated these into his own vision and practice. The size, nature, and importance of Van Gogh's own collection of Japanese prints are also explored. Lavish illustrations include oil paintings and drawings by Van Gogh as well as a selection of the Japanese works that so captured his imagination.
Introduction / Louis van Tilborgh and Nienke Bakker
The beginning of the 'Japanese dream': Van Gogh's acquaintance with Japan / Nienke Bakker
In the light of Japan: Van Gogh's quest for happiness and a modern identity / Louis van Tilborgh
Van Gogh's Japan: Embracing an idea / Cornelia Homburg
After the dream: Van Gogh and Japan in his last months in Paris and Auvers-sur-Oise / Tsukasa Kōdera
Van Gogh's Japanese prints: From dealer's stock to artist's collection / Chris Uhlenbeck
Chronlogy: Van Gogh and Japanese art / Claire Guitton.
- Catalog accompanies the exhibition of the same name at Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, 23 March-24 June 2018, and previously seen at Hokkaidō Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo, 26 August-15 October 2017; Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 24 October 2017-8 January 2018; The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, 20 January-4 March 2018.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 185-190) and index.
"Van Gogh & Japan" : March 23-June 24, 2018, Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
"Van Gogh & Japan" : August 26-October 15, 2017, Hokkaidō Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo, Japan.
"Van Gogh & Japan" : October 24, 2017-January 8, 2018, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan.
"Van Gogh & Japan" : January 20-March 4, 2018, the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, Japan.
- Local notes:
- Exhibited: "Van Gogh & Japan", Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, 23 March-24 June 2018.
Exhibited: "Van Gogh & Japan", Hokkaidō Museum of Modern Art, Sapporo, 26 August-15 October 2017.
Exhibited: "Van Gogh & Japan", Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, 24 October 2017-8 January 2018.
Exhibited: "Van Gogh & Japan", The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, 20 January-4 March 2018.
- Tilborgh, Louis van, author.
Bakker, Nienke, 1972- author.
Homburg, Cornelia, author.
Kōdera, Tsukasa, author.
Uhlenbeck, Chris, author.
Guitton, Claire, writer of supplementary textual content.
Webb, Diane, translator.
Hoyle, Michael (Translator), translator.
Carlson, Mark, translator.
Alkins, Ted, translator.
Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, host institution, organizer, publisher, issuing body.
Hokkaidōritsu Kindai Bijutsukan, host institution.
Tōkyō-to Bijutsukan, host institution.
Kyōto Kokuritsu Kindai Bijutsukan, host institution.
Hokkaidō Shinbunsha, publisher.
Fonds Mercator, publisher.
北海道立近代美術館, host institution.
東京都美術館, host institution.
京都国立近代美術館, host institution.
- Gogh, Vincent van, 1853-1890. Paintings. Selections. 2018.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|