Europa : how Europe shaped the modern world / Julio Crespo MacLennan.
- Other Title:
- How Europe shaped the modern world
- First Pegasus Books edition.
- New York, NY : Pegasus Books Ltd., 2018.
xviii, 477 pages ; 24 cm
- Civilization, Western -- History.
Imperialism -- History.
Europe -- History.
- European history is deeply embedded in the global civilization that has emerged in the 21st century. More than two thirds of today's nations were once European colonies or protectorates. Europe's legacy is evident in the trajectory of the United States and has influenced aspiring hegemonic powers like China. For centuries, Europe was the heart and soul of the West, and European powers enjoyed unprecedented global hegemony, not only by military and economic means, but also through their influence on politics and culture.
- Europa from myth to reality: how Renaissance Europe gave birth to an expanding civilization
As far as it is possible for a man to go: how geographic discoveries laid the foundations of European hegemony
The world is not enough: the rise of the Great European Empire
Revolution versus empire: the impact of the era of revolutions on European empires and the western world
Eastern dreams of grandeur: how China, India, and the rest of Asia were shaped by European expansion
In search of a better world: how European culture and values were propagated by the great migratory waves
The power and the glory: the golden era of European hegemony
The first and last great frontier of civilization: the scramble for Africa on behalf of civilization, Christianity, and imperial interests
The wars that shook the world: how the two world wars precipitated a new post-European era
Goodbye to all that: the global influence of European intellectual migration and exile
Experiences with the truth: how the legacy of imperial Europe shaped the postcolonial world
The European dream: how Europe transformed itself into a union that exerts universal attraction
Conclusion: The pillars of a global civilization.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 449-456) and index.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|