Feasting and polis institutions / edited by Floris van den Eijnde, Josine H. Blok, Rolf Strootman.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum ; 414.
Mnemosyne, bibliotheca classica Batava. Supplementum. History and archaeology of classical antiquity
Mnemosyne supplements, History and archaeology of classical antiquity, 2352-8656 ; volume 414
xiii, 384 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Politics and culture -- Greece -- History.
Greece -- Politics and government -- To 146 B.C.
Political customs and rites -- Greece.
Fasts and feasts -- Greece.
Fasts and feasts.
Political customs and rites.
Politics and culture
Politics and government.
- "Feasting and commensality were vital to the great resilience of the polis, Greece's most characteristic and enduring form of political organization. Exploring a wide array of commensal practices, Feasting and Polis Institutions reveals how feasts defined the religious and political institutions of the Greek citizen-state. Taking the reader from the Early Iron Age to the Imperial Period, this volume launches an essential inquiry into Greek power relations. Focusing on the myriad of patronage roles at the feast and making use of a wide variety of methodologies and primary sources, including archaeology, epigraphy and literature, Feasting and Polis Institutions argues that in ancient Greece political interaction could never be complete until it was consumed in a very literal sense"-- Provided by publisher.
- Feasting and polis institutions : an introduction / Floris van den Eijnde
Feasting in Early Iron Age Attika : the evidence from the site of the academy / Alexandra Alexandridou
Power play at the dinner table : feasting and patronage between palace and polis in Attika / Floris van den Eijnde
Feasting at the sanctuary of Apollo Hyakinthos at Amykles : the evidence from the Early Iron Age / Vicky Vlachou
Consuming the wild : more thoughts on the Andreion / James Whitley, Richard Madgwick
Individual and collective in the funding of sacrifices in classical Athens : the sacrificial calendar of the Marathonian Tetrapolis / Stephen Lambert
Table arrangements : Sitesis as a polis institution (IG I3 131) / Josine Blok, Evelyn van't Wout
Measure for measure : fifth-century public dining at the Tholos in Athens / Ann Steiner
The Hellenistic Symposium as feast / Kathleen Lynch
When did the symposion die? On the decline of the Greek aristocratic banquet / Marek Wecowski
The return of the king : civic feasting and the entanglement of city and empire in Hellenistic Greece / Rolf Strootman
The Macedonian background of Hellenistic panegyreis and public feasting / Manuela Mari
Sharing the civic sacrifice : civic feast, procession, and sacrificial division in the Hellenistic period / Stephanie Paul
A network of hearths : honors, sacrificial shares, and 'traveling meat' / Jan-Mathieu Carbon.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Eijnde, Floris van den, 1975- editor.
Blok, Josine, editor.
Strootman, Rolf, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Feasting and polis institutions
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|