Do fewer resources mean less influence? [electronic resource] : a comparative historical case study of military influence in a time of austerity / Mary Manjikian.
- Other Title:
- JSTOR Security Studies.
- Carlisle, PA : Strategic Studies Institute and U.S. Army War College Press, 2015.
- Government document
1 online resource
- United States. Department of Defense -- Appropriations and expenditures.
United States. Department of Defense -- Planning.
United States. Department of Defense.
Military planning -- United States.
Strategic culture -- United States.
United States -- Armed Forces -- Appropriations and expenditures.
United States -- Military policy.
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- "As military conflicts come to an end, it is not uncommon for societies to expect a 'peace dividend' and to engage in elite and popular conversations about how much defense spending is still needed. The issues are similar across countries and time periods: How can defense planners preserve capabilities, avoid the reversibility problem, and plan for the long term? How can they guide the development of technologies and doctrines in a climate of austerity? This manuscript draws lessons from previous historic situations and applies them to today"--Publisher's web site.
The contest for resources vs. "strategic culture"
America's strategic culture : lessons from the past
Lessons for today from post-war Britain
The military response
Conclusion : lessons for U.S. defense planners in a climate of austerity.
- "January 2015."
Paper version available for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 68-76).
Online resource; title from PDF title page (SSI, viewed February 2, 2015).
- Army War College (U.S.). Strategic Studies Institute. publisher.
Army War College (U.S.). Press, publisher.
- Other format:
- Print version: Manjikian, Mary. Do fewer resources mean less influence?
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|