As you like it [electronic resource] / Robert Shaughnessy.
- Manchester, UK : Manchester University Press, 2017.
- Shakespeare in Performance.
Manchester Shakespeare collection
Shakespeare in Performance
1 online resource (239 pages) : illustrations; digital, PDF file(s).
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. As you like it.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Film adaptations.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Stage history.
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: internet via World Wide Web.
System requirements: Adobe Acrobat or other PDF reader (latest version recommended), Internet Explorer or other browser (latest version recommended).
- This book examines the modern performance history of one of Shakespeare's best-loved and most enduring comedies, and one that has given opportunities for generations of theatre-makers and theatre-goers to explore the pleasures of pastoral, gender masquerade and sexual ambiguity. Powered by Shakespeare's greatest female comic role, the play invites us into a deeply English woodland that has also been richly imagined as a space of dreams. The study retrieves the untold stories of stage productions in Britain, France and Germany, which include Royal Shakespeare Company productions starring Vanessa Redgrave, Eileen Atkins and Juliet Stevenson, the ground-breaking all-male productions at the National Theatre in 1967 and by Cheek by Jowl in 1992, and the versions directed by Jacques Copeau in Paris in 1934, and by Peter Stein in Berlin in 1977. It also addresses the four major screen versions of the play, ranging from Paul Czinner's 1936 film to Kenneth Branagh's seventy years later.
- Introduction: This strange, eventful history
1. Play, parts and players
2. Hunting for Arden in Warwickshire
3. Materials of performance: denim and silk
4. Between France and Germany
5. At all points like a man
6. Woeful pageants
7. As we like it
Appendix: Major actors and staff for productions discussed in this volume
- In-house editor: Matthew Frost.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Electronic reproduction. Manchester, UK: Manchester University Press, 2017. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
Description based on print record.
- Frost, Matthew, other.
Manchester University Press, publisher.
- Other format:
- Print version: Shaughnessy, Robert. As you like it,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7765/9781526115720 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|