Mass moralizing : marketing and moral storytelling / Phil Hopkins.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 2015.
1 online resource (259 p.)
- Mass media -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Communication -- Moral and ethical aspects.
- Electronic books.
- Drawing from sources as diverse as Plato, Marshal McLuhan, and McDonald's, Mass Moralizing makes the intriguing case that contemporary marketing has moved beyond merely selling commodities and now seeks to turn our values themselves into commodities. It sheds light on a subtle but important new concern about the ever-shrinking difference between human values and consumer values.
- Contents; List of Figures; Acknowledgments; Introduction; Notes; I: Self and World: Story, Image, Brand; 1 The Stories We Tell; The Noble Lie; Identity; Self; Storied Selves, Narrative Identity; The Moral of the Story; Mass Mediated Selves; Notes; 2 Truth-Telling Narratives; Show and Tell; Anonymous and Impartial; Experts; "Argument"; The Authority of the Witness; Heroes and Villains; Notes; 3 Spectacle; The Stereoscope and the Stereograph; The Conflation of Worlds; Self as Image; The Abstraction of Self: Oneself as an Other; Notes; 4 Tribes; The Procreative Power of Symbols
The Self as BrandHyperreality and Myth; Mythic and Hyperreal Communities; Notes; II: Mass Moralizing; 5 The Good Life; Stuff Makes Life Better; Because Stuff is More than Just Stuff; Stuff Transforms Life; Notes; 6 Morality for Sale; Life Lessons; Value Lessons; Moral Lessons; Colonizing Moral "Issues"; Notes; 7 Morality as Consumption; Making a Difference: Feeling Good (About Yourself); Making the World a Better Place, One Purchase at a Time; One For One; Joining the Good Fight; Notes; 8 Morality as Propaganda; Sociological Propaganda; Mass Propaganda Voices; Morality as Moralism
Other StoriesNotes; Appendix: List of Advertising Sources; Bibliography; Index; About the Author
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|