Ethnicity and sociopolitical change in Africa and other developing countries : a constructive discourse in state building / edited by Santosh C. Saha.
- Lanham, Maryland : Lexington Books, 2008.
1 online resource (241 p.)
- Ethnicity -- Political aspects -- Africa, Sub-Saharan.
Ethnicity -- Political aspects -- Developing countries.
Cultural pluralism -- Africa, Sub-Saharan.
Cultural pluralism -- Developing countries.
Nation-building -- Africa, Sub-Saharan.
Nation-building -- Developing countries.
Africa, Sub-Saharan -- Ethnic relations.
Developing countries -- Ethnic relations.
- Electronic books.
- This edited book on constructive ethnicity argues that the modernizing state system in developing countries unduly denies a legitimate place to the linguistic and ethnic groups who, despite habitual attachment to ethnic groups, might meaningfully help the slow process of state building. Here ethnicity is characterized as positive, and as such, moral and pragmatic. Despite ethnicity's natural inclination to polarization, a national community can be reconstructed, as is exemplified by recent events in Rwanda, Cyprus, India, Palestine, and China.
- Ethnicity And Sociopolitical Change In Africa And Other Developing Countries ; Table of Contents; Part I: African Countries; 1 Moral Ethnicity in Sub-Saharan African National Identity Issues: Ethnicity and State-Building; 2 Reconstructing or Dismantling the Nation? A New Rwanda ; 3 Education for Social Change in Burundi and Rwanda: Creating a National Identity beyond the Politics of Ethnicity ; 4 Rwanda-Burundi's ""National-Ethnic"" Dilemma: Democracy, Deep Divisions and Conflict Re-Represent
5 Overstating the Connection between Ethnicity and Military Coups d'Etats in Africa: A Meta-analysis Part II: Other Developing Countries; 6 Third-Party Intervention in Ethnic Conflict: Turkey's Intervention in Cyprus and Role Theory ; 7 Ethnicity and the Role of Education as a Mechanism for National Unity in China ; 8 Ethnic and Civic Nationhood in India: Concept, History, Institutional Innovations and Contemporary Challenges; 9 The Palestinians and the Kurds: A Comparative Analysis ; Bibliography; Contributors; Index
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Saha, Santosh C., editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|