Studies in the Eighteenth Century : Papers presented at the David Nichol Smith Memorial Seminar, Canberra 1966 / R.F. Brissenden.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
- Conference Name:
- David Nichol Smith Memorial Seminar (1966 : Canberra, A.C.T.), jauthor.
1 online resource (361 p.)
- English literature -- 18th century -- History and criticism -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- The papers brought together in this volume bear witness to the growing vigour and diversity of eighteenth-century studies. The seminar at which they were presented was held to honour the memory of a literary scholar, David Nichol Smith. It is therefore understandable and fitting that the majority of the contributions should be concerned primarily with literature. History, art, and philosophy, however, are also dealt with; and the collection as a whole offers a widely ranging and illuminating survey of the period.
Notes on Contributors
D.N.S. A Biographical Note
David Nichol Smith
The Enlightenment: Towards a Useful Redefinition
The Development of Eighteenth-Century Studies in the British Commonwealth
Middle-Class Literacy in Eighteenth-Century England: Fresh Evidence
Two Historical Aspects of the Augustan Tradition
‘Sentiment’: Some Uses of the Word in the Writings of David Hume
Johnson’s Neglected Muse: The Drama
The Muse of Mercantilism: Jago, Grainger, and Dyer
The Birth of Tristram Shandy: Sterne and Dr Burton
Some Eighteenth-Century Attempts to Use the Notion of Happiness
The Augustan Mode in English Poetry
‘From a Fable form a Truth’: A Consideration of the Fable in Swift’s Poetry
Milton and the German Mind in the Eighteenth Century
The Grand Tour and the Rule of Taste
Johnson’s London: The Country Versus the City
The Apocalypse of Christopher Smart
The Classical Learning of Samuel Johnson
Bibliography of Works by and about David Nichol Smith
- Held at the Australian National University, 15th-19th August 1966.
Held at the Australian National University, 15th-19 August 1966.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jul 2020)
- Australian National University, sponsoring body.
Brissenden, R.F., editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442632431 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|