Investigations in the economics of aging [electronic resource] / edited by David A. Wise.
- Other records:
- Chicago ; London : University of Chicago Press, 2012.
- National Bureau of Economic Research conference report.
A National Bureau of Economic Research conference report
1 online resource (399 p.)
- Aging -- Economic aspects -- United States -- Congresses.
Retirees -- Economic conditions -- 21st century -- Congresses.
Older people -- Medical care -- United States -- Costs -- Congresses.
Older people -- Health and hygiene -- United States -- Congresses.
- Electronic books.
- One of the most well-established relationships in the economics of aging is that between health and wealth. Yet this relationship is also changing in conjunction with a rapidly aging population as well as a broad evolution in how people live later in life. Building on findings from earlier editions in this National Bureau of Economic Research series, Investigations in the Economics of Aging focuses on the changing financial circumstances of the elderly and the relationship of these circumstances to health and health care. Among the topics addressed are the significance of out-of-pocket health care costs, the effects of inflation on social security, and the impact of the recent financial crisis on Americans' well-being. Encompassing new data and advances in research methodology, the developments presented in this volume will have important implications for economies worldwide.
- Financing retirement
Were they prepared for retirement? : financial status at advanced ages in the HRS and AHEAD cohorts / James M. Poterba, Steven F. Venti, and David A. Wise ; comment, David Laibson
Economic preparation for retirement / Michael D. Hurd and Susann Rohwedder ; comment, Robert J. Willis
How well are Social Security recipients protected from inflation? / Gopi Shah Goda, John B. Shoven, and Sita Nataraj Slavov ; comment, Michael D. Hurd
The availability and utilization of 401(k) loans / John Beshears, James J. Choi, David Laibson, and Brigitte C. Madrian ; comment: Gopi Shah Goda
Health and health care
Dimensons of health in the elderly population / David M. Cutler and Mary Beth Landrum ; comment, David R. Weir
The value of progress against cancer in the elderly / Jay Bhattacharya, Alan M. Garber, Matthew Miller, and Daniella Perlroth ; comment, Amitabh Chandra
Self reported disability and reference groups / Arthur van Soest, Tatiana Andreyeva, Arie Kapteyn, and James P. Smith ; comment, David M. Cutler
"Healthy, wealthy and wise?" revisited : an analysis of the causal pathways from socioeconomic status to health / Till Stowasser, Florian Heiss, Daniel McFadden, and Joachim Winter ; comment, Robert J. Willis
Childhood health and differences in late-life health outcomes between England and the United States / James Banks, Zoe Oldfield, and James P. Smith ; comment, Amitabh Chandra
The financial crisis and the well-being of America / Angus Deaton ; comment, Daniel McFadden.
- Papers presented at a conference held in Carefree, Arizona, in May 2011.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Wise, David A.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7208/9780226903163 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|