The Atomists : Leucippus and Democritus : fragments / a text and translation with a commentary C. C. W. Taylor.
- Toronto, [Ontario] ; Buffalo, [New York] ; London, [England] : University of Toronto Press, 1999.
- Phoenix pre-Socratics.
1 online resource (323 p.)
- Democritus, approximately 460 B.C.-approximately 370 B.C.
- Electronic books.
- Ancient Greek (to 1453)
- It may not be too much to say that all the work Western philosophers have done over the past two thousand years was begun by the Pre-Socratics. The Phoenix Pre-Socratic series has been instrumental in recovering Pre-Socratic texts.As with earlier works in this important series, this volume aims to make an important portion of Pre-Socratic writings accessible to all those interested in ancient philosophy and the first phase of European natural science. We now have, for the first time in English a translation of the bulk of texts concerning the atomists, with commentary.The work contains a new presentation of the evidence for the thought of Leucippus and Democritus, based on the original sources. It includes a Greek text of the fragments, in a new selection, with facing English translation. The testimonia (all newly translated) are presented in a new selection, designed to clarify the structure of the atomists thought and to present their texts in their argumentative context as far as possible. The notes and commentary aim to reflect the complexity and diversity of their thought, with particular emphasis on their metaphysical foundations, psychology, epistemology and ethics. Sections on biology, astronomy and theology are also included. Complete indexes, concordances and bibliography are included.
Fragments: text and translation
The Sayings of Democrates
Passages Cited as Sources
Notes on Sources
Index of Names and Subjects
Index of Passages from Ancient Authors
- Greek text with English translation and commentary.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (ebrary, viewed September 22, 2016).
- Taylor, C. C. W., translator, writer of added commentary.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442671102 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|