Critical Edition of Robert Barnes's A Supplication Vnto the Most Gracyous Prince Kynge Henry The. VIIJ. 1534 / Douglas H. Parker.
- Toronto : University of Toronto Press, 
1 online resource (747 p.)
- Barnes, Robert, 1495-1540. Supplication to Henry VIII -- Criticism, Textual.
Barnes, Robert, 1495-1540. Supplication to Henry VIII.
Protestantism -- Early works to 1800.
Great Britain -- Church history -- 16th century.
- Electronic books.
- Robert Barnes (1495-1540) was perhaps the most important sixteenth-century English Protestant reformer after William Tyndale. The shifting religious and political views of Henry VIII positioned Barnes at the opposite end of the popular ideology of the day, culminating in his execution in 1540 soon after that of Thomas Cromwell.A Supplication Vnto the Most Gracyous Prince Kynge Henry The. VIIJ., the first edition of which appeared in 1531 during Barnes's German exile, was a controversial lament for the religious climate in England and an earnest argument in favour of reform. In this critical edition, Douglas H. Parker compares all extant versions of the text published in the sixteenth century, focusing on the differences between the 1531 and 1534 editions. Parker argues that the differences between versions can be explained by Barnes's increasing sensitivity to the unstable theological climate under Henry VIII as well as to the author's attempt to curry favour with the English government in 1534. This critical volume includes the entire 1534 edition of A Supplication, a biographical sketch of Barnes, a bibliographical introduction, a glossary of arcane words, and an appendix that features the 1531 edition, giving readers the chance to make their own comparison. This work is a long over-due study of one of the most fascinating and prescient texts to emerge from the Protestant Reformation.
Robert Barnes: A Biographical Sketch
The 1531 and 1534 Editions of A Supplication Vnto the Most Gracyous Prince Kynge Henry The.VIJJ
John Foxe's Edition of Barnes's A Supplication
The Literary Response to Robert Barnes
A Supplication Vnto the Most Gracyous Prince Kynge Henry The.VIIJ. 1534
Emendations in the 1534 Edition
Appendix: The 1531 Edition
Emendations in the 1531 Edition
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 08. Jul 2019)
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3138/9781442687776 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|