Australia: Letters from Secretary of State. Domestic, 1855-1857 : Correspondence [electronic resource] .
- Marlborough, Wiltshire : Adam Matthew Digital, 2017.
- Migration to new worlds.
1 online resource
- Description: Letters mainly sent and received by the Australian Secretary of State, many of which refer to European applications to emigrate to the Australian colonies. There are many letters referring to particular ships, detailing their journey, the duration of the voyage and general conditions on board. Enquiries into free and assisted passage for labourers, teachers and family members of convicts transported to the Australian colonies feature frequently. Infringements of the Passengers' Act are also noted, as are returns of crown lands and deeds of land grants. References to the population of the gold field settlements of Australia are also made in several letters, with the wages earnt by emigrant workers listed, along with remarks upon samples sent to be exhibited at the Paris Exhibition.
- AMDigital Reference: CO 385/28.
Description based on online resource (viewed on October 24, 2017).
- Adam Matthews Digital (Firm), digitiser.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|