Children at the center : transforming early childhood education in the Boston Public Schools / Betty Bardige, Megina Baker, Ben Mardell.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard Education Press, 
243 pages ; 24 cm
- Early childhood education -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Early childhood education -- Curricula -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Education, Preschool -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Education, Preschool -- Curricula -- Massachusetts -- Boston.
Learning, Psychology of.
Group work in education.
Early childhood education.
Early childhood education -- Curricula.
Education, Preschool -- Curricula.
Boston Public Schools. Department of Early Childhood.
Massachusetts -- Boston.
- Children at the Center provides a closely observed account of the decade-long effort to reshape the direction and quality of the Boston Public Schools' early childhood programs. Drawing on multiple perspectives and voices from the field, the authors highlight the reflective, collaborative, inquiry-driven approach undertaken by the program and share lessons learned. Boston Public Schools are recognized for embedding high-quality, public preK programs in their system and achieving exceptional results. In this book, the authors outline the core principles that underlie the district's early childhood programs and explore the role of curriculum, professional development, coaching, and data use in supporting these new initiatives. They show how the Department of Early Childhood was able to work both with and against the constraints of the current accountability system to create a holistic, child-centered, play-based program that has had a significant impact in narrowing income-based gaps. Written in collaboration with the Boston Public Schools Department of Early Childhood Education, this account of creating successful preK programs in a diverse urban district is a resource for practitioners engaged in similar work across the country.--Provided by publisher.
- 1. Children at the center
2. The colorful cafe: a visit to a K0/K1 inclusion classroom / with Melissa Rivard and Jodi Doyle Krous
3. Building the BPS Early Childhood Program
4. Pathways to excellence
5. A house for a dragon: a visit with a K1 student / with David Ramsey and Abby Morales
6. Redoubled efforts and new directions
7. Tamara's day: a visit to a K2 classroom
8. A new model of professional development
9. The DEC at work
10. Reaching in, out, and up
11. Epilogue. A park where parents play with their kids: a visit to city hall
Appendix. The role of data, research, and evaluation in the process of change / by Christina Weiland and Jason Sachs.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Boston Public Schools. Department of Early Childhood, issuing body.
Baker, Megina, author.
Mardell, Ben, author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|