Color that matters : a comparative approach to mixed race identity and Nordic exceptionalism / Tony Sandset.
- Other Title:
- Colour that matters
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Studies in migration and diaspora.
Studies in migration and diaspora
x, 196 pages ; 25 cm.
- Racially mixed people -- Race identity -- Norway.
Racially mixed people -- Norway -- Social conditions.
Norway -- Ethnic relations.
Racially mixed people -- Race identity.
- "This book examines the ways in which mixed ethnic identities in Scandinavia are formed along both cultural and embodied lines, arguing that while the official discourses in the region refer to a 'post-racial' or 'color blind' era, color still matters in the lives of people of mixed ethnic descent. Drawing on research amongst people of mixed ethnic backgrounds, the author offers insights into how color matters and is made to matter, and in the ways in which terms such as 'ethnic' and 'ethnicity' remain very much indebted to their older, racialized grammar. Color that Matters moves beyond the conventional Anglo-American focus of scholarship in this field, showing that while similarities exist between the racial and ethnic discourses of the US and UK and those found in the Nordic region, Scandinavia, and Norway in particular, manifests important differences, in part owing to a tendency to viewed itself as exceptional or outside the colonial heritage of race and imperialism. Presenting both a contextualisation of racial discourses since World War II based on documentary analysis and new interview material with people of mixed ethnic backgrounds, the book acts as a corrective to the blind spot within Scandinavian research on ethnic minorities, offering a new reading of race for the Nordic region that engages with the idea that color has been emptied of legitimate cultural content"-- Provided by publisher.
- Research horizons : inspirations and tensions
Theoretical inspirations and methodological tools
From race to ethnicity : the purification of a discourse : UNESCO and Norway's western others
Discourses of race and ethnicity : a difficult deployment of color
Performing mixed ethnic identities : colors that matter
No guarantees, just paradoxes to offer : in lieu of the typical conclusion.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|