Chikamatsu monogatari = A story from Chikamatsu / a Daiei production ; produced by Masaichi Nagata ; screenplay by Yoshitaka Yoda ; directed by Kenji Mizoguchi.
- Other Title:
- Story from Chikamatsu
Title in English sometimes given as: Crucified lovers
- Special edition.
- [United States] : The Criterion Collection, 
- Criterion collection ; 949.
Criterion collection ; 949
1 videodisc (102 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 insert (1 folded leaf : illustrations ; 18 cm.)
4 3/4 in.
- Chikamatsu, Monzaemon, 1653-1725 -- Film adaptations.
Kawaguchi, Matsutarō, ǂd 1899-1985 -- Film adaptations.
Adultery -- Japan -- Drama.
Social classes -- Japan -- Drama.
Japan -- Commerce -- Drama.
Married people -- Japan -- Drama.
Merchants -- Japan -- Drama.
Women -- Japan -- Drama.
- Feature films.
Motion pictures, Japanese.
- In Japanese; optional subtitles in English.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; full screen (1.37:1 aspect ratio) presentation; monaural.
digital optical monaural
full screen (1.37:1)
video file DVD video region 1
- An exquisitely moving tale of forbidden love struggling to survive in the face of persecution. Based on a classic of eighteenth-century Japanese drama, the film traces the injustices that befall a Kyoto scroll maker₂s wife and his apprentice after each is unfairly accused of wrongdoing. Bound by fate in an illicit, star-crossed romance, they go on the run in search of refuge from the punishment prescribed them: death.
- Kazuo Hasegawa, Kyoko Kagawa, Yoko Minamida, Eitaro Shindo.
- Cinematographer, Kazuo Miyagawa; editor, Kanji Suganuma; music, Fumio Hayasaka.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1954.
Title from title frames; production credits from English-subtitled opening frames.
Based on the puppet play Daikyoji mukashi-goyomi / [by] Monzaemon Chikamatsu, adapted as a play by Matsutaro Kawaguchi.
Special features: new interview with actor Kyoko Kagawa; Mizoguchi : the auteur behind the "Metteur-en-scène," a new illustrated audio essay by film scholar Dudley Andrew; essay by film scholar Haden Guest (on insert).
- Mizoguchi, Kenji, 1898-1956, film director.
Nagata, Masaichi, 1906-1985, film producer.
Yoda, Yoshitaka, 1909-1991, screenwriter.
Kagawa, Kyōko, actor.
Hasegawa, Kazuo, 1908-1984, actor.
Minamida, Yoko, 1933-2009, actor.
Shindō, Eitarō, ǂd 1899-1977, actor.
Hayasaka, Fumio, 1914-1955, composer (expression).
Daiei Kabushiki Kaisha (1945-1971), film production company.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Publisher Number:
CC2962DDVD The Criterion Collection