Architectural drawings and correspondence, 1883-1969.

Zoological Society of Philadelphia.
26 fds. (126 items) : mixed media ; 286 x 106 cm. or smaller. + 7 Ms.; correspondence

Get It


Items arranged and numbered chronologically, then grouped by architectural building project for subrecord entry in the RLIN-VIM file. Items 1-8 pavillion (1883) RLIN record PAPV92-F2810. Items 9-14 bear cages (1912) RLIN record PAPV92-F2811. Items 15-119 & 129 & 131 bird house (original project, 1914-1916) RLIN records PAPV92-F2812 thru PAPV92-F2819. Item 120 plan for future development (1930) RLIN record PAPV92-F2820. Item 121 picnic area and play ground (1938) RLIN record PAPV92-F2821. Items 122-123 pachyderm house (1939-40) RLIN record PAPV92-F2822. Item 130 plan for ostriches, snake pit, retiles, etc. (1940) RLIN record PAPV92-F2824. Items 124-128 bird house alterations and additions (after 1916) RLIN records PAPV92-F2823 & PAPV92-F2825.
Zoos -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Aviaries -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Elephant houses -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Pavilions -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Architecture, American -- 19th century -- Designs and plans.
Architecture, American -- History -- 20th century -- Designs and plans.
Carpentry -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Metalwork -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Ironwork -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Stonework -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Terracotta -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Local subjects:
Fairmount Park (Philadelphia, Pa.) -- Buildings, structures, etc. (search)
Philadelphia Zoological Garden (Philadelphia, Pa.). (search)
Architectural drawings -- American.
Site plans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
Pencil drawings.
Ink drawings.
Crayon drawings.
Blackline prints.
Blueline prints.
Historical Note: The Zoological Society of Philadelphia (Pa.) was chartered as a non-profit corporation in 1859, although no advances were made at that time. In 1872 the Society was reoganized and in 1873 the Zoo was established on the southern end of West Park in the larger Fairmount Park. On the 1st of July 1874, the Zoo was officially opened to the public. Originally, the Zoo was known as the Zoological Garden of Philadelphia. Taken from "Centennial Celebration, 1859-1959", Zoological Society of Philadelphia (operating America's first zoo), 1959, p. 3-4.
Contains design and construction drawings for a number of building and landscape projects, proposed or built, from 1883 to 1969. Includes the design work of brothers George W. and William D. Hewitt, architects (1883 garden pavillion); Walter Mellor and Arthur I. Meigs, architects (1914-1916 original bird house and grounds) ; Paul P. Cret, architect (1930 plans for future development and 1939-40 pachydern house); Horace T. Fleisher, landscape architect (1938 picnic area and playground) Stephen M. Ford, landscape architect? (1940 ostrich, snake pit, reptile, etc. areas) Bolton, Martin & White, architects and "KMZ"? (bird house alterations and additions after 1916, including some dated 1969). All of the above mentioned design practitioners were located in Philadelphia.
Also includes: building estimates for the 1889 pavillion from James H. Errickson and T. M.(Thomas M.) Davis, both carpenters and builders; iron work drawings for the 1912 bear cages produced by Frank Pettit Iron Work; correspondence and contract between J.S. Connell and Sons, carpenters and builders, and the Zoological Society for the original bird house; structural drawings for the bird house by F. Dickinson Shaw, Engineer; shop drawings of metal work for the 1914-1916 bird house by J.S. Thorn Company, Gehnet Brothers, and the National Steel Products Company; shop drawings of terra-cotta for the bird house from Conkling Armstrong Terra-Cotta Co.; a plan drawing of the landscape stone-work surrounding the bird house by John Maxwell's Sons, masons; plans for the steam heating system for the same from Philadelphia Steam Heating Company; plumbing plans for the same by Boon and Sample, pipe contractors and electrical drawings from A. Ernest D'Ambly, registered professional engineer. All the above carpenters, manufacturers, and sub-contractors where located in or around Philadelphia.
Finding Aid/Index:
Zoological Society of Philadelphia (Pa.) Architectural drawings collection inventoryy. 1992. item level control.
Cited as:
Athenaeum copy: Zoological Society of Philadelphia architectural drawings collection on loan to the Athenaeum of Philadelphia, with the support of the Pew Charitable Trusts through its Museum Loan Program.
Cret, Paul Philippe, 1876-1945.
D'Ambly, A. Ernest.
Davis, T. M. (Thomas M.), carpenter.
Errickson, James H., carpenter.
Fleisher, Horace T.
Ford, Steven M.
Hewitt, George Watson, 1841-1916.
Hewitt, William D. (William Dempster), 1847-1924.
Meigs, Arthur I. (Arthur Ingersoll), 1882-1956.
Mellor, Walter, 1880-1940.
Bolton, Martin & White.
Boon and Sample.
Conkling-Armstrong Terra Cotta Co.
Frank Pettit Iron Work Company.
G.W. and W.D. Hewitt.
Gehnet Brothers.
J.S. Connell and Sons.
J.S. Thorn Company.
John Maxwell's Sons.
Mellor & Meigs.
National Steel Products Company.
Philadelphia Steam Heating Company.