The great migration : an American story / paintings by Jacob Lawrence ; with a poem in appreciation by Walter Dean Myers.
- New York : The Museum of Modern Art ; [Washington, D.C.] : Phillips Collection ; New York : HarperCollinsPublishers, [c1993].
 unnumbered pages : color illustrations ; 24 x 29 cm
- Lawrence, Jacob, 1917-2000 -- Juvenile literature.
African Americans in art -- Juvenile literature.
Rural-urban migration in art -- Juvenile literature.
African Americans -- History.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York (City)
United States Washington (D.C.)
- A series of paintings chronicles the journey of African Americans who, like the artist's family, left the rural South in the early twentieth century to find a better life in the industrial North.
- "This book is published on the occasion of the 1993 exhibition Jacob Lawrence : The Migration Series, organized by the Phillips Collection, which will be traveling from Washington, D.C., to Milwaukee; Portland, Oregon; Birmingham; St. Louis; and New York City."--Colophon.
Introduction by Jacob Lawrence taken from interview with exhibit curator Elizabeth Hutton Turner, 10/3/1992, which is available in the Phillips Collection Archives.
"The text of this book was set in 17 pt. Gill Sans."
Notable Children's Trade Books in the Field of Social Sciences, 1993; Booklist Starred Review, 1993; Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books Starred Review, 1993; Kirkus Reviews Starred Review, 1993.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy has brochure from the national tour of the paintings laid in.
Athenaeum copy: Gift of Hope W. Makler.
Kislak Center Banks Collection copies 1 & 2 presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy 1: dustjacket retained.
Banks Collection copy 1 is "First Edition" with autograph of "Jacob Lawrence".
Banks Collection copy 2 is HarperTrophy paperback edition.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copies 1 & 2)
Lawrence, Jacob, 1917-2000 (autograph) (Banks Collection copy 1)
- Penn Chronology:
- Myers, Walter Dean, 1937-2014, author.
Turner, Elizabeth Hutton, 1952- , Curator, Interviewer
Phillips Collection. , Curator
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Children's Books (University of Pennsylvania)
- 0060230371 :
006023038X (lib. bdg.)
9780060230388 (lib. bdg.)
0064434281 (pap.) :
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|