A parallel of the antient architecture with the modern, : in a collection of ten principal authors who have written upon the five orders. Viz. Palladio and Scamozzi, Serlio and Vignola, D. Barbaro and Cataneo, L. B. Alberti and Viola, Bullant and De Lorme, compared with one another. : The three Greek orders, Dorick, Ionick, and Corinthian, comprise the first part of the treatise and the two Latin, Tuscan and Composita, the latter. / Written in French by Roland Freart, sieur de Chambray. ; Made English for the benefit of builders. ; To which is added, An account of architects and architecture, in an historical and etymlogical explanation of certain terms, particularly affected by architects. ; With Leon Baptista Alberti's treatise Of statues. By John Evelyn, Esq.; Fellow of the Royal Society.
- Standardized Title:
- Parallèle de l'architecture antique avec la moderne. English.
- Other Title:
- Paralell of architecture both ancient & moderne
- The third edition, / with the addition of The elements of architecture; collected by Sir Henry Wotton Knt. from the best authors and examples; and also other large additions.
- London: : Printed by T.W. for D. Brown, J. Walthoe, B. and S. Tooke, D. Midwinter, W. Mears, and F. Clay., MDCCXXIII. 
, xx, xxv-xxxviii, 115, , 74 p.,  leaf of plates : ill., port. ; 36 cm. (fol.)
- Sculpture -- Early works to 1800.
Architecture -- Orders -- Early works to 1800.
Architecture -- History.
Architecture -- Terminology -- Early works to 1800.
- Title in red and black. Title vignette.
With head- and tailpieces, initials based on designs by Errard. Cf. Victoria and Albert Museum Library Catalogue.
Added engraved t.p. with port. of author reads: A paralell [sic] of architecture both ancient & moderne, by Roland Fréart, Sr de Chambray.
Translation of: Parallèle de l'architecture antique avec et de la moderne (1650); John Evelyn's first English translation of Fréart's work appeared in 1664.
"The elements of architecture" has divisional title page.
"An account of architects and architecture ... much inlarg'd and improv'd since the former impression ... together with Leon Baptist Alberti, Of statues ... 1723" has separate title page, pagination and register.
Page xiv misnumbered xvi.
With numerous engraved plates included in pagination.
Printed by Thomas Wood.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Title is held at Carpenters' Hall in the Library of the Carpenters' Company of the City and County of Philadelphia. Access to the books is restricted and available to researchers only by permission requested in advance.
Athenaeum copy: Carpenters' Company copy inscribed: Richard Young, June 11th, 1725; also inscribed: Uphams 1825; copy has armorial bookplate of John Moore Paget; not recorded in 1827, 1840 or 1857 Carpenters' Company Library Catalogue.
- Cited in:
- ESTC T43635
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1136
Harris, E. Brit. architectural writers, 235
Park, Helen. A list of architectural books available in America before the revolution, 15
- Evelyn, John, 1620-1706.
Paget, John Moore, 1792-1856. , Former owner
Young, Richard. , Former owner
Wood, Thomas, active 1708-1748 , Printer
Browne, Daniel, 1647-1727. , Bookseller
Walthoe, John, 1657 or 1658-1744 , Bookseller
Tooke, Benjamin, d.1723. , Bookseller
Tooke, S. (Samuel). , Bookseller
Midwinter, Daniel, active 1698-1725 , Bookseller
Mears, W. (William), active 1713-1758 , Bookseller
Clay, Francis, . 1738. , Bookseller
Errard, Charles, 1606-1689.
Carpenters' Company Library Collection (Athenaeum of Philadelphia)
- Alberti, Leon Battista, 1404-1472. De statua. English. 1723.
Evelyn, John, 1620-1706. Account of architects and architecture. 1723.
Wotton, Henry, Sir, 1568-1639. Elements of architecture. 1723.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|