The carpenter and joiner's assistant; : containing practical rules for making all kinds of joints, and various methods of hingeing them together: for hanging of doors on straight or cicrular plans; for fitting up windows and shutter to answer various purposes; with rules for hanging them; for the construction of floors, partitions, soffits, grains, arches for masonry; for constructing of roofs in the best manner from a given quantity of timber, .... : To which are added, examples of various roofs executed, with the scantlings with actual measurements. : With rules for mortices and tenons, and for fixing iron straps, &c. : Also extracts from M. Belidor, M. du Hamel, M. de Buffon, &c. on the strength of timber, with practical observations. / By Peter Nicholson, author of The carpenter's new guide, Student's instructor &c.
- The fourth edition, revised and corrected.
- London: : Printed for J. Taylor, at the Architectural Library, opposite Great Turnstile, Holborn., 1815.
x, 82, , 8 p., 79 leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., plans ; 27 cm. (4to)
- Publishers' catalogs.
- First edition published in 1797.
"S. Stratford, printer, Crown-Court, Temple-Bar."--p.  (3rd sequence).
Publisher's catalog on 8 p. at end.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Title is held at Carpenters' Hall in the Library of the Carpenters' Company of the City and County of Philadelphia. Access to the books is restricted and available to researchers only by permission requested in advance.
Athenaeum copy: Carpenters' Company copy inscribed: James Hutchinson bought Feb. 12th 1822; also inscribed: Presented by James Hutchinson to the "Carpenters' Company of the City and County of Phila.a" May 22nd, 1863 (Hutchinson was a Carpenters' Company member first elected in 1822); accession number 3387.
- Cited in:
- BLC v. 236, p. 244
- Hutchinson, James, d. 1873. , Former owner
Stratford, William, -1838 , Printer
Taylor, J., (Josiah). , Bookseller
Carpenters' Company Library Collection (Athenaeum of Philadelphia)
I. and J. Taylor's Architectural Library (London, England). , Publisher, Bookseller
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|