World War I : the African front / Edward Paice.
- 1st Pegasus Books ed.
- New York : Pegasus Books, 2008
xxxix, 488 p.,  p. of plates : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Great Britain.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Germany.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- Africa, Eastern.
World War, 1914-1918 -- Campaigns -- German East Africa.
- The definitive history of World War I's forgotten front: Britain versus Germany in East Africa to secure the belly of a continent. On August 7, 1914, Britain fired its first shots of World War I not in Europe but in the German colony of Togo. The campaign to eliminate the threat at sea posed by German naval bases in Africa would soon be won, but in the land war, especially in East Africa, British troops would meet far fiercer resistance from German colonial forces that had fully mastered the tactics of bush warfare. It was expected to be a "small war," over by Christmas, yet it would continue bloodily for more than four years, even beyond the signing of the Armistice in Europe.--From publisher description.
I. 1914: 'The Germans open the ball'; Phoney war; 'The action of a lunatic'; The aftermath; Marking time
II. 1915: The coast; The war in the West; 'A brilliant affair'; The end of the "Königsberg"; 'The lion and the springbok'; A "Velha Aliada" - 'The old ally'; 'Swallows and Amazons'; The African war
III. 1916: The build-up; The 'first Slaita show'; The 'robbers' raid; "Opsaal!" Saddle-up! ; The advance down the Northern Railway; The crescent flag; 'The cannibals'; The 'ubiquitous Rhodesians'; 'Abso-damn-lutely fed up'; Smuts's 'final phase'; 'The condemned'; The 'suicidal system of supply'
IV. 1917: Unfinished business; The raiders; The allies; Into 'the unknown'; The Germen Pimpernel; The 'China affair'; The progaganda war
V. 1918: The hunt begins; Nhamacurra; "Tipperary mbali sana sana!"
Epilogue: 'There came a darnkess'
Appendices: German East Africa "Schutztruppe": dispositions July 1914
Indian Expeditionary Forces 'B' and 'C': summarised orders of Battle of 1914
German East Africa "Schutztruppe": Order of battle 5 March 1916
British forces in East Africa: summarised order of battle 4 April 1916
British order of battle (main force), 5 August 1916
British forces in East Africa: Summarised order of battle 30 June 1917
German East Africa "Schutztruppe": Order of battle 14 October 1917
British forces in East Africa: Summarised order of battle 31 March 1918.
- "An imperial war on the African continent"--Cover.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -464) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Miller fund bookplate.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|