Darwin's ghosts : the secret history of evolution / Rebecca Stott.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Spiegel & Grau, 2012.
xviii, 396 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882. On the origin of species.
Darwin, Charles, 1809-1882 -- Sources.
Evolution (Biology) -- History.
Scientists -- Biography.
Naturalists -- Biography.
- Evolution was not discovered single-handedly, Rebecca Stott argues, contrary to what has become standard lore, but is an idea that emerged over many centuries, advanced by daring individuals across the globe who had the imagination to speculate on nature's extraordinary ways, and who had the courage to articulate such speculations at a time when to do so was often considered heresy.
- Darwin's list, Kent, 1859
Aristotle's Eyes, Lesbos, 344 BC
The Worshipful Curiosity of Jahiz, Basra and Baghdad, 850
Leonardo and the potter, Milan, 1493; Paris, 1570
Trembley's Polyp, The Hague, 1740
The Consul of Cairo, Cairo, 1708
The Hotel of the Philosophers, Paris, 1749
Erasmus underground, Derbyshire, 1767
The Jardin des Plantes, Paris, 1800
The Sponge Philosopher, Edinburgh, 1826
The Encyclopedist, Edinburgh, 1844
Alfred Wallace's fevered dreams, Malay Archipelago, 1858.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Scott fund bookplate.
- 9781400069378 ;
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|