The boys of '36 / an Elastic String Productions film for American experience ; produced by Margaret Grossi, Mary Carillo ; written by Aaron R. Cohen ; directed by Margaret Grossi.
- Other Title:
- Boys of thirty-six
Boys of 1936
- Arlington, Virginia : Distributed by PBS Distribution, 
1 videodisc (60 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
4 3/4 in. stamping
- Rowing -- United States -- History.
Rowers -- United States -- Biography.
University of Washington -- Rowing -- History.
Olympic Games -- (11th : 1936 : Berlin, Germany)
- Sports television programs.
Documentary television programs.
Nonfiction television programs
Video recordings for the hearing impaired
- English language soundtrack with optonal English subtitles.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; widescreen; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround.
digital optical surround 5.1
video file DVD video Region 1
- "In 1936, nine working-class boys from the University of Washington took the rowing world and the nation by storm when their eight-oar crew team captured the gold medal at the Olympics in Berlin. These sons of loggers, shipyard workers and farmers overcame tremendous hardships--psychological, physical, economic--to beat not only the Ivy League teams of the East Coast, but Adolf Hitler's elite German rowers. The boys' unexpected victory, and the obstacles they overcame to achieve it, inspired a nation struggling to emerge from the depths of the Depression. The Boys of '36 recounts their remarkable journey"--Container.
- Narrator, Oliver Platt ; commentators, Daniel James Brown, Eric Cohen, Timothy Egan, Bob Ernst, David Clay Large, Peter Mallory, Marilynn Moch, Michael Moch, Judy Willman.
- Edited by Mark Dugas ; director of photography, Samson Chan ; original music by Joel Goodman & Benjamin Krause ; executive producer, Mark Samels.
"Subtitles are a function of the disc and serve the same purpose as closed-captions"--Container.
Originally produced as an episode of the television series: American experience.
DVD release of the 2016 documentary.
- Grossi, Margaret, television director, television producer.
Bowden, Mary Carillo, television producer.
Samels, Mark, television producer.
Cohen, Aaron R., screenwriter.
Platt, Oliver, narrator.
Goodman, Joel (Joel Scott), composer (expression)
Krause, Benjamin, composer (expression)
Dugas, Mark, editor of moving image work.
Chan, Samson, director of photography.
Elastic String Productions, production company.
Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.), publisher.
PBS Distribution (Firm), film distributor.
- Contained in: American experience (Television program)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|