Victorious century : the United Kingdom, 1800-1906 / David Cannadine.
- New York, New York : Viking, 2017.
- Penguin history of Britain ; 8.
The Penguin history of Britain ; VIII
xxi, 601 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 24 cm.
- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Civilization -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 19th century.
- To live in nineteenth-century Britain was to experience an astonishing and unprecedented series of changes. Cities grew vast; there were revolutions in transportation, communication, science, and work--all while a growing religious skepticism rendered the intellectual landscape increasingly unrecognizable. It was an exhilarating time, and as a result, most of the countries in the world that experienced these changes were racked by political and social unrest. Britain, however, maintained a stable polity at home, and as a result it quickly found itself in a position of global leadership. In this major new work, leading historian David Cannadine has created a bold, fascinating new interpretation of nineteenth-century Britain. Britain was a country that saw itself at the summit of the world and, by some measures, this was indeed true. It had become the largest empire in history: its political stability positioned it as the leader of the new global economy and allowed it to construct the largest navy ever built. And yet it was also a society permeated with doubt, fear, and introspection. Repeatedly, politicians and writers felt themselves to be staring into the abyss and what is seen as an era of irritating self-belief was in fact obsessed with its own fragility, whether as a great power or as a moral force. Victorious Century is a comprehensive and extraordinarily stimulating history--its author catches the relish, humor and staginess of the age, but also the dilemmas faced by Britain's citizens, ones we remain familiar with today. -- Amazon
- Act of union, 1800-02
Britannia resurgent, 1802-15
Great power, great vicissitudes, 1815-29
The iconoclastic years, 1829-41
The "hungry" forties, 1841-48
Great Exhibition, half time, 1848-52
Equipoise and angst, 1852-65
Leaping in the dark, 1865-80
"Disintegration" averted?, 1880-95
Jubilation and recessional, 1895-1905
General election, 1905-06.
- "First published in Great Britain by Allen Lane."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Beardwood fund bookplate.
- Other Edition:
- Reproduction of:
- 9780525557890 : HRD
052555789X : HRD
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|