The essential Duchamp / Matthew Affron [compiler] ; with contributions by Cecile Debray, Alexander Kauffman, Michelle R. Taylor, and John Vick.
- Philadelphia, PA : Philadelphia Museum of Art ; New Haven, CT : In association with Yale University Press,  , ©2018
189 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 25 cm
- Duchamp, Marcel, 1887-1968 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Exhibition catalogs.
- "This richly illustrated publication explores the full career of the hugely influential and endlessly fascinating French-American artist Marcel Duchamp (1887-1968). A pioneer whose creative output was predicated on a fundamental questioning of what art is, Duchamp is well known despite remaining mysterious as an artist, owing to his elusive persona and the unconventional nature of his work. Focusing on the world-renowned Duchamp collection at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Essential Duchamp tells the artist's story through four key periods. The book begins with his early paintings and engagement with the avant-garde, then charts his abandonment of painting and invention of the readymade. This is followed by the creation of his alter ego Rrose Sélavy and the optical experiments of the interwar years, and, finally, by the making of Étant donnés (1946-66), the project that occupied the artist in the final two decades of his life. Shorter accompanying texts include explanations of key terms Duchamp used for his innovative ideas--ready made, precision optics, pictorial nominalism, and infrathin--as well as interviews and statements by the artist about his own art and ideas."--From the publisher
- The essential Duchamp / Matthew Affron
A painter's life
"Can works be made which are not 'or art'?"
Our lady of desire
Readymade / Michael R. Taylor
Precision optics / Alexander Kauffman
Pictorial nominalism / John Vick
Infrathin / Cécile Debray
Statement / compiled by James Johnson Sweeney (1946)
Interview / with James Johnson Sweeney (1955)
The creative act
Apropos of "Readymades" (1961).
- "Published on the occasion of the exhibition The Essential Duchamp, Tokyo National Museum, October 2-December 9, 2018; National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul, December 22, 2018-April 7, 2019; Art Gallery New South Wales, Sydney, April-August 2019."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Schaffer fund bookplate.
- Debray, Cécile, writer of added commentary.
Kauffman, Alexander, writer of added commentary.
Taylor, Michael R., 1966- writer of added commentary.
Vick, John, writer of added commentary.
Affron, Matthew (Art museum curator), editor of compilation.
Philadelphia Museum of Art, issuing body.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|