Accretion Disks — New Aspects [electronic resource] : Proceedings of the EARA Workshop Held in Garching, Germany, 21–23 October 1996 / edited by Emmi Meyer-Hofmeister, Henk Spruit.
- 1st ed. 1997.
- Berlin, Heidelberg : Springer Berlin Heidelberg : Imprint: Springer, 1997.
- Lecture Notes in Physics, 0075-8450 ; 487
Lecture Notes in Physics, 0075-8450 ; 487
1 online resource (XIII, 358 p.)
- Observations, Astronomical.
- Local subjects:
- Astronomy, Observations and Techniques. (search)
Astrophysics and Astroparticles. (search)
- The most luminous compact objects are powered by accretion of mass. Accretion disks are the one common and fundamental element of these sources on widely different scales, ranging from close stellar binaries, galactic black holes and X-ray pulsars to active galactic nuclei (AGN). Key new developments in theory and observations, reviewed by experts in the field, are presented in this book. The contributions to the workshop cover the puzzles presented by the X-UV spectra of AGN and their variability, the recent numerical simulations of magnetic fields in disks, the remarkable behavior of the superluminal source 1915+105 and the "bursting pulsar" 1744-28, to mention a few of the topics.
- X-ray spectrum of low-mass X-ray binaries
Black holes in X-ray binaries
GX 339-4: Hard X-ray observations; possible mechanism for transient outbursts
Spectral and temporal variations of the X-ray emission from black hole and neutron star binaries
X-ray spectrum of a disk illuminated by ions
Anisotropic illumination of accretion disc in Seyfert I galaxies
Disc instabilities and binary evolution
Dwarf nova outbursts: a unification theory
Radiation transfer in disks of CVs
Modelling magnetised accretion discs
Causal viscosity in accretion disc boundary layers
The nonlinear evolution of a single mode of the magnetic shearing instability
The stability of magnetically threaded accretion disks
The equilibrium and stability of a thin accretion disc containing a poloidal magnetic field
Magneto-viscous accretion discs
Precessing warped discs in close binary systems
Super-eddington luminosity in the bursting pulsar GRO J1744-28. GRANAT/WATCH results
On viscous disc flow around rotating black holes
Comparison of different models for the UV-X emission of AGN
Broad X-ray emission lines from accretion disks
An advection-dominated flow in the nucleus of M87
ROSAT observations of warm absorbers in AGN
Can soft X-ray spectra of AGN be taken as emission from accretion disks?
The galactic center — a laboratory for AGN
A bright X-ray source inside a molecular cloud
Radiative and advective accretion disks around black holes
Observational progress on accretion disks: a turning point
Magnetic fields and precession in accretion disks.
- Bibliographic Level Mode of Issuance: Monograph
- Meyer-Hofmeister, Emmi. editor., Editor,
Spruit, Henk. editor., Editor,
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1007/BFb0105816 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|