Teaching rape in the medieval literature classroom : approaches to difficult texts / edited by Alison Gulley.
- [Amsterdam] : Amsterdam University Press ; Leeds, UK : ARC Humanities Press, 
- Teaching the Middle Ages
vi, 218 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- English literature -- Middle English, 1100-1500 -- History and criticism.
Rape in literature.
Spirituality in literature.
Women and literature -- England -- History -- To 1500.
English literature -- Middle English.
Women and literature.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "Teachers of medieval literature help students bridge the temporal, contextual, and linguistic gulfs between the Middle Ages and the twenty-first century. When episodes involving rape are thrown into the mix, that task becomes even more difficult. The essays in this volume approach these difficult texts in ways that are both academically and ethically sound, recognising that students and teachers bring a variety of experiences to the classroom that necessarily colour the reception of a given work."--Back cover.
- 1. Introduction: Teaching rape and meeting the challenges of the twenty-first-century classroom / Alison Gulley
2. Medieval saints and misogynist times : transhistorical perspectives on sexual violence in the undergraduate classroom / Suzanne M. Edwards
3. Teaching medieval rape culture across genre : insights from victimology / Wendy Perkins and Christina Di Gangi
4. Bringing the bystander into the humanities classroom : reading ancient, patristic, and medieval texts on the continuum of violence / Elizabeth A. Hubble
5. From bystander to upstander : reading the 'Nibelungenleid' to resist rape culture / Alexandra Sterling-Hellenbrand
6. Speech, silence, and teaching Chaucer's rapes / Tison Pugh
7. Classroom PSA : values, law, and ethics in 'The Reeve's tale' / Emily Houlik-Ritchey
8. "How do we know he really raped her?" : using the BBC 'Canterbury tales' to confront student skepticism towards the Wife of Bath / Alison Gulley
9. Teaching the Potiphar's wife motif in Marie de France's 'Lanval' / Elizabeth Harper
10. Sexual compulsion and sexual violence in the 'Lais' of Marie de France / Misty Urban
11. Troubadour lyric, 'Fin'amors', and rape culture / Daniel E. O'Sullivan
12. The knight coerced : two cases of raped men in chivalric romance / David Grubbs
13. Teaching rape to the he-man Woman Haters Club : Chrétien de Troyes at a military school / Alan Baragona
14. Rape, identity, and redemption : teaching "Sir Gowther" in the community college classroom / William H. Smith.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gulley, Alison, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|