God and Man in Tehran [electronic resource] : Contending Visions of the Divine from the Qajars to the Islamic Republic / Hossein Kamaly.
- New York, NY : Columbia University Press, 
1 online resource
- God (Islam)
- In English.
- System Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
text file PDF
- In God and Man in Tehran, Hossein Kamaly explores the historical processes that have made and unmade contending visions of God in Iran's capital throughout the past two hundred years. Kamaly examines how ideas of God have been mobilized, contested, and transformed, emphasizing how notions of the divine have given shape to and in turn have been shaped by divergent conceptualizations of nature, reason, law, morality, and authority.God and Man in Tehran analyzes official government policies, modern textbooks, and university curricula; popular beliefs and ritual practices; and philosophical and juridical attitudes toward theological questions in traditional institutions. Kamaly considers continuity and change in religiosity under the Qajar and Pahlavi dynasties; the significance of outbreaks of messianic expectations; why a modernizing nation took a sudden turn toward state religiosity; and how the Islamic Republic deploys visions of God against foreign enemies and domestic critics. Beyond the majority Shia Muslim population, the book includes minority and suppressed voices, discussing the views of Sunni Muslims, Armenian and Assyrian Christians, Jews, Bahais, and Zoroastrians and investigating issues of gender and class. With a focus on the diversity of ideas of the divine, God and Man in Tehran offers a novel perspective on the intellectual movements that have shaped Iranian modernity.
On Transliteration and Dates
ONE. O God, O Heaven, O Nature
TWO. Mediatory Theology and Its Discontents
THREE. God with Us
FOUR. The Law: God's and Man's
FIVE. Falsafeh and the Madraseh
SIX. Sufism Returns, and with a Vengeance
SEVEN. Varieties of Skeptical Expression
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 24. Sep 2018)
- De Gruyter.
- Contained In:
- De Gruyter University Press Library.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.7312/kama17682 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|