Spain in the nineteenth century : new essays on experiences of culture and society / edited by Andrew Ginger and Geraldine Lawless.
- Other Title:
- Spain in the 19th century
- Manchester : Manchester University Press 2018.
- Interventions: rethinking the nineteenth century (Series)
Interventions : rethinking the nineteenth century
ix, 274 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Spain -- Social conditions -- 19th century.
Spain -- Civilization -- 19th century.
Spain -- History -- 19th century.
- The nineteenth-century Hispanic world was shattered to its core by war, civil war, and revolution. At the same time, it confronted a new period of European and North-American expansion and development. In these essays, authors explore major, dynamic ways that people in Spain envisaged how they would adapt and change, or simply continue as they were. Each chapter title begins with the words "How to...", and examines the ways in which Spaniards conceived or undertook major activities that shaped their lives. These range from telling the time to being a man. Adaptability, paradox, and inconsistency come to the fore in many of the essays. We find before us a human quest for opportunity and survival in a complex and changing world. This wide-ranging book contains chapters by leading scholars from the United States, United Kingdom, and Spain.
- How (not) to make a durable state / Natalia Sobrevilla Perea
How to be universal / Andrew Ginger
How to tell time / Geraldine Lawless
How to be religious under liberalism / Gregorio Alonso
How to prescribe a cure for the ills of art / Oscar Vázquez
How to know about right and wrong / Alison Sinclair
How to be a man / Collin McKinney
How to be a writer for the press-and how to write about it / Rhian Davies
How to be a cultural entrepreneur / Henriette Partzsch
How to be a man of letters / Raquel Sánchez
How to be an intellectual / Luis G. Martínez del Campo
How to live a colonial soldier's life / Catherine Davies.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Ginger, Andrew, 1970- editor.
Lawless, Geraldine, 1979- editor.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
9781526124760 (ePub ebook)
9781526124753 (PDF ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|