The Arabic Life of Antony attributed to Serapion of Thmuis : cultural memory reinterpreted / by Elizabeth Agaiby.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Texts and studies in Eastern Christianity ; v. 14.
Texts and studies in Eastern Christianity ; volume 14
xiii, 279 pages : color illustrations, map; 25 cm.
- Coptic Christian saints -- Biography.
Coptic Christian saints -- Biography -- History and criticism.
Coptic Christian saints -- Biography -- Sources.
Monastic and religious life -- Egypt -- History.
Coptic Christian saints.
Monastic and religious life.
Anthony, of Egypt, Saint, approximately 250-355 or 356.
Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "Exposition on Antony" and "The Life of Antony by Serapion the Bishop" in Arabic with English translation on facing pages; critical material in English.
- "In The Arabic Life of Antony Attributed to Serapion of Thmuis, Elizabeth Agaiby demonstrates how the redacted Life of Antony, the "Father of all monks and star of the wilderness", gained widespread acceptance within Egypt shortly after its composition in the 13th century and dominated Coptic liturgical texts on Antony for over 600 years - the influence of which is still felt up to the present day. By providing a first edition and translation, Agaiby demonstrates how the Arabic Life bears witness to the reinterpretation of the religious memory of Antony in the Coptic Orthodox Church"-- Provided by publisher.
- Antony the Great
The textual traditions of The Life of Antony
Old wine in a new bottle
Synopsis and commentary
The Life of Antony / by Serapion the Bishop
A codicological description of MS St Paul (History) 53.
- "This book is a revision of my doctoral thesis, 'Whoever Writes Your Life-story I will Write His Name in the Book of Life.' The Arabic Life of Antony Attributed to Serapion of Thmuis in Manuscripts of the Red Sea Monasteries"-- Author's acknowledgments.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 245-261) and indexes.
- Serapion, of Thmuis, Saint. Arabic life of Antony. English.
- Other format:
- Online version: Agaiby, Elizabeth, author. Arabic life of Antony attributed to Serapion of Thmuis
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|