Semantics in language acquisition / edited by Kristen Syrett, Sudha Arunachalam.
- Amsterdam ; Philadelphia : John Benjamins Publishing Company, 
- Trends in language acquisition research ; v. 24.
Trends in language acquisition research, 1569-0644 ; volume 24
vi, 391 pages ; 25 cm.
Grammar, Comparative and general -- Syntax.
- "This volume presents the state of the art of recent research on the acquisition of semantics. Covering topics ranging from infants' initial acquisition of word meaning to the more sophisticated mapping between structure and meaning in the syntax-semantics interface, and the relation between logical content and inferences on language meaning (semantics and pragmatics), the papers in this volume introduce the reader to the variety of ways in which children come to realize that semantic content is encoded in word meaning (for example, in the event semantics of the verbal domain or the scope of logical operators), and at the level of the sentence, which requires the composition of semantic meaning. The authors represent some of the most established and promising researchers in this domain, demonstrating collective expertise in a range of methodologies and topics relevant to the acquisition of semantics. This volume will serve as a valuable resource for students and faculty, and junior and seasoned researchers alike"-- Provided by publisher.
- The historical emergence and current study of semantics in acquisition / Kristen Syrett
Word meanings and semantic domains in acquisition / Eve V. Clark
The influence of linguistic temporal organization on children's understanding of temporal terms and concepts / Laura Wagner
Semantic features of early verb vocabularies / Sabrina Horvath, Leslie Rescorla and Sudha Arunachalam
On the acquisition of event culmination / Angeliek van Hout
Telicity in typical and impaired acquisition / Petra Schulz
Not all subjects are agents : transitivity and meaning in early language comprehension / Rose M. Scott, Yael Gertner and Cynthia Fisher
Analogical structure mapping and the formation of abstract constructions : a novel construction learning study / Ben Ambridge, Micah B. Goldwater and Elena V.M. Lieven
The labeling problem in syntactic bootstrapping : main clause syntax in the acquisition of propositional attitude verbs / Aaron Steven White, Valentine Hacquard and Jeffrey Lidz
Perspectives on truth : the case of language and false belief reasoning / Jill de Villiers
The meaning of question words in statements in child mandarin / Stephen Crain and Peng Zhou
Overt, covert, and clandestine operations : ambiguity and ellipsis in acquisition / Kristen Syrett
Developmental insights into gappy phenomena : comparing presupposition, implicature, homogeneity, and vagueness / Lyn Tieu, Cory Bill, Jérémy Zehr, Jacopo Romoli and Florian Schwarz
Four-year-old children compute scalar implicatures in absence of epistemic reasoning / David Barner, Lara K. Hochstein, Miriam P. Rubenson and Alan Bale
The acquisition path of near-reflexivity / Valentina Brunetto and Tom Roeper.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Syrett, Kristen, editor.
Arunachalam, Sudha, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Syrett, Kristen, author. Semantics in language acquisition
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|