Conspiracies and conspiracy theories in the age of Trump / Daniel C. Hellinger.
- Cham, Switzerland : Palgrave Macmillan,  , ©2019
xxi, 300 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Conspiracy theories -- United States.
Conspiracies -- United States.
United States -- Politics and government -- 2017-
Political culture -- United States.
Trump, Donald, 1946-.
Democracy -- United States.
- "This book focuses on the constant tension between democracy and conspiratorial behavior in the new global order. It addresses the prevalence of conspiracy theories in the phenomenon of Donald Trump and Trumpism, and the paranoid style of American politics that existed long before, first identified with Richard Hofstadter. Hellinger looks critically at both those who hold conspiracy theory beliefs and those who rush to dismiss them. Hellinger argues that we need to acknowledge that the exercise of power by elites is very often conspiratorial and invites both realistic and outlandish conspiracy theories. How we parse the realistic from the outlandish demands more attention than typically accorded in academia and journalism. Tensions between global hegemony and democratic legitimacy become visible in populist theories of conspiracy, both on the left and the right. He argues that we do not live in an age in which conspiracy theories are more profligate, but that we do live in an age in whcih they offer a more profound challenge to the constituted state than ever before"--Publisher's description.
- 1. Introduction : conspiracy theory versus theorizing conspiracy
2. Paranoia, conspiracy panic, and the regime of truth
3. Trumpism, fake news and the "new normal"
4. Suspicious minds, the 2016 election and its aftermath
5. Globalization, populism, conspiracism
6. Dark money and Trumpism
7. The deep state, hegemony, and democracy
8. Conclusion : conspiracy theories and political decay.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 287-295) and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Hellinger, Daniel. Conspiracies and conspiracy theories in the age of Trump.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|