High school for all in East Asia : comparing experiences / edited by Shinichi Aizawa, Mei Kagawa and Jeremy Rappleye.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019.
- Routledge studies in education and society in Asia ; 8.
Routledge studies in education and society in Asia ; 8
xxi, 256 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Education, Secondary -- East Asia.
Economic development -- Effect of education on -- East Asia.
Economic development -- Effect of education on.
- "Although late to industrialize, East Asia has witnessed rapid development whilst maintaining some of the highest educational enrollment rates and indicators of academic achievement globally. From major players, such as China, to small city-states, such as Singapore, economic success and the growth of education have seemingly unfolded simultaneously. This book therefore seeks to better understand the relationship between these powerful economies and their commitment to educational expansion. Exploring the universalization of upper secondary schooling, it assesses the social foundations of the region's economic development. Chapters covering each of the countries of East Asia trace how upper secondary school functions as the support for the mass manufacturing labor force, which has been instrumental in East Asian economic expansion. These analyses then compare the experiences of the different nations along two major axes: the relationship between public and private provision and the balance between general and vocational tracks. Finally, this book goes onto examine recent trends, including the slowing of social development and declining fertility, and ultimately asks, can East Asia maintain its world leading development and educational standards? Combining a wealth of quantitative data and policy analyses, this book will be useful to students and scholars of Asian and international education"-- Provided by publisher.
- High school education for all in East Asia / Shinichi Aizawa
Towards an original contribution based on "Asian education"? : a review of existing theories of educational expansion / Jeremy Rappleye
Upper secondary education in Asia : a quantitative comparison with Western countries / Hirofumi Taki
Postwar Japan : provision for the expansion of high school education in postwar Japan / Mei Kagawa
Private and vocational high schools within the expansion of secondary education : a case study of Korea / Mitsuharu Tanaka
Structural analysis of the expansion of upper secondary education in Taiwan : private schooling, public demand, and the twelve-year basic education policy / Yu-Fei (Sharon) Liu
Expansion strategies of Singapore's secondary schools amidst processes of economic transformation and nation building / Sim Choon Kiat
Foreseeing the new educational dream just before the post-industrial reality : equality, mobility and the expansion of upper secondary schools in the 1980s / Yuk Man Cheung, Yuet Man Li, Ching Wai Ho
Expansion of upper secondary education in China, 1980-2010 / Jin Jiang
Challenges in Vietnamese secondary education during the transitional economy era / Miho Ito
Maintaining high school education in the low-fertility societies of Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea / Kagawa, Aizawa, and Tanaka.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Aizawa, Shin'ichi, 1979- editor.
Kagawa, Mei, 1976- editor.
Rappleye, Jeremy, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|