Foodborne parasites in the food supply web : occurrence and control / edited by Alvin A. Gajadhar ; contributors, B. Al-Adhami [and thirty others].
- Amsterdam, [Netherlands] : Woodhead Publishing, 2015.
- Woodhead Publishing in food science, technology, and nutrition ; Number 288.
Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition ; Number 288
1 online resource (481 p.)
- Foodborne diseases.
Food -- Microbiology.
- Electronic books.
- Foodborne Parasites in the Food Supply Web: Occurrence and Control provides an overview of the occurrence, transmission, and control of parasites in the food chain, including an introduction to the topic from the perspectives of various issues surrounding foodborne parasites. The text then explores the different types of foodborne parasites, the dynamics of parasite transmission in different food sources, and the prevention and control of foodborne parasites in the food chain. Provides an overview of the occurrence, transmission, and control of parasites in the food chainExplores the differ
- Front Cover; Foodborne Parasites in the Food Supply Web: Occurrence and Control; Copyright; Contents; List of contributors; Woodhead Publishing Series in Food Science, Technology and Nutrition; Part One: Perspectives ; Chapter 1: Introduction to foodborne parasites; 1.1 . Introduction; 1.2 . Parasites transmitted by food; 1.3 . Foods that transmit parasites; 1.4 . Public health and economy; 1.5 . Challenges and future trends; References; Chapter 2: Trends in food production practices relative to foodborne parasites; 2.1 . Introduction; 2.2 . Parasite transmission pathways in food production
2.2.1 . Controlled versus noncontrolled food production2.2.2 . Classes of parasites; 2.2.3 . Parasites important in food production; 2.2.4 . General principles; 18.104.22.168 . Water; 22.214.171.124 . Soil; 126.96.36.199 . Fertilizer/manure; 188.8.131.52 . Animal feed; 184.108.40.206 . Animals/biotic risks; 2.3 . Illustrations of food production systems for parasite control; 2.3.1 . Preventing parasites in pork production systems; 220.127.116.11 . A biosecure pork production system; Building construction; Rodent control systems; Exclusion of domestic and feral cats; Water; Feed manufacturing and storage; Personnel hygiene
Facility cleaning18.104.22.168 . Changes resulting from good pork production practices; 22.214.171.124 . Other considerations in pork production practices; Organic production and food safety; Animal welfare and food safety; 2.3.2 . Prevention of parasite contamination in vegetable and fruit production; 126.96.36.199 . Water; 188.8.131.52 . Manure; 184.108.40.206 . Animal exclusion; 220.127.116.11 . Worker hygiene; 18.104.22.168 . Equipment hygiene; 22.214.171.124 . Postharvest contamination; 2.4 . Conclusion and future trends; References; Chapter 3: Foodborne parasites and climate change: Possible impacts and challenges; 3.1 . Introduction
3.2 . Climate change: The basics3.3 . Food supply systems: The basics; 3.4 . Foodborne parasites: The basics; 3.5 . Climate change, food supply systems, and foodborne parasites: From producer to consumer; 3.6 . Examples of linkages between foodborne parasites and climate change; 3.6.1 . Echinococcus canadensis and Echinococcus multilocularis -Source: Contaminated foods; 3.6.2 . Trichinella spp.-Source: Infected foods; 3.6.3 . Toxoplasma gondii -Source: Infected and contaminated foods; 3.6.4 . Fasciola hepatica -Source: Contaminated foods
3.7 . Direct effects of climate change during production3.8 . Indirect effects of climate change during production; 3.9 . Climate change and harvest; 3.10 . Climate change and food inspection; 3.11 . Climate change and food storage; 3.12 . Climate change and food processing; 3.13 . Climate change and food distribution; 3.14 . Climate change and food retailing; 3.15 . Climate change and food in the home and in food services: Storage, preparation, and consumption; 3.16 . Conclusions: Some priorities; 3.17 . Possible future developments; Acknowledgments; References
Chapter 4: Role of society and culture in the epidemiology and control of foodborne parasites
- Description based upon print version of record.
Includes bibliographical references at the end of each chapters and index.
Description based on print version record.
- Gajadhar, Alvin A., editor.
Al-Adhami, B., contributor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|