Traces of the Ramayana and Mahabharata in Javanese and Malay Literature / edited by Ding Choo Ming, Willem van der Molen.
- Singapore : ISEAS - Yusof Ishak Institute, 2018.
- Nalanda-Sriwijaya series ; 34.
Nalanda-Sriwijaya series ; 34
1 online resource (1 PDF (ix, 229 pages) :) color illustrations.
- Malay literature -- History and criticism.
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- Local renderings of the two Indian epics Ramayana and Mahabharata in Malay and Javanese literature have existed since around the ninth and tenth centuries. In the following centuries new versions were created alongside the old ones, and these opened up interesting new directions. They questioned the views of previous versions and laid different accents, in a continuous process of modernization and adaptation, successfully satisfying the curiosity of their audiences for more than a thousand years. Much of this history is still unclear. For a long time, scholarly research made little progress, due to its preoccupation with problems of origin. The present volume, going beyond identifying sources, analyses the socio-literary contexts and ideological foundations of seemingly similar contents and concepts in different periods; it examines the literary functions of borrowing and intertextual referencing, and calls upon the visual arts to illustrate the independent character of the epic tradition in Southeast Asia.
ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS
1. Introduction / van der Molen, Willem
2. The Rāmāyaṇa in Java and Bali: Chapters from its Literary History / Robson, Stuart
3. Abimanyu Gugur: The Death of Abimanyu in Classical and Modern Indonesian and Malay Literature / Aveling, Harry
4. Drona's Betrayal and Bima's Brutality: Javanaiserie in Malay Culture / Arps, Bernard
5. Ramayana and Mahabharata in Hikayat Misa Taman Jayeng Kusuma / Koster, Gijs L.
6. The death of Śalya Balinese Textual and Iconographic Representations of the Kakawin Bha¯ratayuddha / Creese, Helen
7. The Illustrated Ast· abrata In Pakualaman Manuscript Art / Wieringa, Edwin P.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
"ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute."
Description based on print version record.
- ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, issuing body.
Ming, Ding Choo, editor.
van der Molen, Willem, editor.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1355/9789814786584 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|