The committee [electronic resource] : a study of policy, power, politics, and Obama's historic legislative agenda on Capitol Hill / Bryan W. Marshall and Bruce C. Wolpe.
- Other Title:
- Study of policy, power, politics, and Obama's historic legislative agenda on Capitol Hill
- Ann Arbor, Michigan : University of Michigan Press, 
- Legislative politics & policy making.
Legislative politics & policy making
1 online resource (xviii, 289 pages) : illustrations.
- United States. Congress -- (111th : 2009-2010)
United States. Congress. House. Committee on Energy and Commerce.
United States -- Politics and government -- 2009-2017.
- Electronic books.
- For three years while serving as a senior adviser to Rep. Henry A. Waxman (D-CA), chairman of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce-one of the most powerful committees in Congress-Bruce C. Wolpe kept a diary, a senior staffer's look at how committees develop and promote legislation. With its insider's view of the rough-and-tumble politics of cap-and-trade, healthcare reform, tobacco, oversight, and the debt ceiling agreement, The Committee uniquely melds the art of politics and policymaking with the theory and literature of political science. The authors engage with the important questions that political science asks about committee power, partisanship, and the strategies used to build winning policy coalitions both in the Committee and on the floor of the House. The insider politics and strategies about moving legislation in Congress, from internal and external coalition building to a chairman's role in framing policy narratives, will captivate both novice and die-hard readers of politics.
- Foreword : about the authors : two beginnings, one old political hand and one new
Preface : outline of the committee
Hope and change meets the Hill
Cap-and-trade bill : American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009
Confronting Waterloo? : the historic moment for health care reform
A big turn in tobacco road
From presidential "shakedown" to congressional apology : the politics of committee oversight of BP's Deepwater Horizon crisis
When ideological fidelity trumps the common good : the politics that ended the grand bargain
Beyond the historic 111th Congress
Appendix: Committee on Energy and Commerce major accomplishments of the 111th Congress.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on information from the publisher.
- Wolpe, Bruce C., 1951- author.
- Michigan Publishing (University of Michigan) issuing body, publisher.
- Publisher Number:
- 10.3998/mpub.8918588 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|