German colonialism revisited [electronic resource] : African, Asian, and Oceanic experiences / Nina Berman, Klaus Mühlhahn, Patrice Nganang, editors.
- Ann Arbor : The University of Michigan Press, 
- Social history, popular culture, and politics in Germany
Social history, popular culture, and politics in Germany
1 online resource
- Indigenous peoples -- Africa -- Social conditions.
Indigenous peoples -- Asia -- Social conditions.
Indigenous peoples -- Oceania -- Social conditions.
Germany -- Colonies -- Africa -- History.
Germany -- Colonies -- Asia -- History.
Germany -- Colonies -- Oceania -- History.
Africa -- Colonization -- Social aspects -- History.
Asia -- Colonization -- Social aspects -- History.
Oceania -- Colonization -- Social aspects -- History.
- Electronic books.
- "German Colonialism Revisited brings together military historians, art historians, literary scholars, cultural theorists, and linguists to address a range of issues surrounding colonized African, Asian, and Oceanic people's creative reactions to and interactions with German colonialism. This scholarship sheds new light on local power dynamics; agency; and economic, cultural, and social networks that preceded and, as some now argue, ultimately structured German colonial rule. Going beyond issues of resistance, these essays present colonialism as a shared event from which both the colonized and the colonizers emerged changed. They contribute to current debates on transnational and intercultural processes and highlight the ways in which the legacy of the German colonial period is embedded in the global expansion of capitalism, technology, and the Western legal framework"-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 299-331) and index.
Description based on information from the publisher.
- Berman, Nina.
Nganang, Alain Patrice.
Michigan Publishing (University of Michigan) publisher.
- Publisher Number:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|