Hard times for these times / by Charles Dickens ; with an afterword by Charles Shapiro.
- [New York] : Published by the New American Library, .
- Signet classic
A Signet classic ; CD79
300,  pages ; 18 cm.
- Social problems -- England -- Fiction.
England -- Social conditions -- 19th century -- Fiction.
England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Fiction.
Manners and customs.
- Local subjects:
- London (England) -- History -- 18th century -- Fiction. (search)
England -- Social life and customs -- 19th century -- Fiction. (search)
- Political fiction.
- Place of Publication:
- United States New York (State) New York.
- Book The First. Sowing. The one thing needful; Murdering the innocents; A loophole; Mr. Bounderby; The keynote; Sleary's horsemanship; Mrs. Sparsit; Never wonder; Sissy's progress; Stephen Blackpool; No way out; The old woman; Rachael; The great manufacturer; Father and daughter; Husband and wife
Book The Second. Readping. Effects in the bank; Mr. James Harthouse; The whelp; Men and brothers; Men and masters; Fading away; Gunpowder; Explosion; Hearing the last of it; Mrs. Sparsit's staircase; Lower and lower; Down
Book The Third. Garnering. Another thing needful; Very ridiculous; Very decided; Lost; Found; The starlight; Whelp-hunting; Philosophical; Final.
- "First Printing, July, 1961."
"This edition of 'Hard Times' is based on the first book-form printing of 1854. The spelling and punctuation have been brought into conformity with modern British conventions and obvious errors have been corrected."--A Note on the Text.
Publisher's advertisements:  pages at end.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -300).
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Potok April 1964 Jerusalem".
- Penn Provenance:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Shapiro, Charles, writer of added commentary.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
- Other format:
- Online version: Dickens, Charles, 1812-1870. Hard times for these times.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|