Care Needed : Improving the Lives of People with Dementia / Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- Paris : OECD Publishing, 2018.
- OECD Health Policy Studies 2074319X.
OECD Health Policy Studies 2074319X.
- Government document
1 online resource (160 pages)
- Social Issues/Migration/Health.
- Across the OECD, nearly 19 million people are living with dementia. Millions of family members and friends provide care and support to loved ones with dementia throughout their lives. Globally, dementia costs over USD 1 trillion per year and represents one of the leading causes of disability for elderly adults. These numbers will continue to rise as populations age. Until a cure or disease-modifying treatment for dementia is developed, the progress of the disease cannot be stopped. This report presents the most up-to-date and comprehensive cross-country assessment of the state of dementia care in OECD countries. In recent years, OECD countries have enhanced their efforts to provide high-quality dementia care during diagnosis, early and advanced dementia, but improving measurement is necessary for enhancements in care quality and outcomes for people with dementia. The report advises a set of policies that can help countries to improve diagnosis, strengthen access to care services, improve the quality of care, and support the families and carers of people living with dementia. Measuring and comparing the services that are delivered to people with dementia and the outcomes they achieve is a crucial part of improving dementia care. Most health systems have very poor data on dementia care and countries should work to strengthen the measurement of quality and outcomes of dementia care.
- Identifying people with dementia
Key findings and conclusion
Health and long-term care services for advanced dementia are poor
Helping people with dementia live well in the community
Acronyms and abbreviations
- Title from title screen (viewed May 1, 2017).
- SourceOECD (Online Service)
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|