Death and taxes : how SARS made hitmen, drug dealers and tax dodgers pay their dues / Johann van Loggerenberg.
- Johannesburg : Jonathan Ball Publishers, 2018.
xvi, 303 pages ; 24 cm
- South African Revenue Service.
Tax evasion -- South Africa.
Criminal investigation -- South Africa.
Tax collection -- South Africa.
- Nothing in life is certain, except death and taxes - or so the saying goes. South African tax dodgers and criminals - from drug dealers and rhino horn smugglers to one of the hitmen who shot Brett Kebble - have come to realise this truth the hard way. Former tax sleuth and bestselling author of Rogue, Johann van Loggerenberg, was at the centre of several such high-profile SARS cases that spanned many years. He offers a riveting insider's view on some of these cases, like the investigations into Dave King, Billy Rautenbach, Barry Tannenbaum, as well as Jacob Zuma, Julius Malema and others. Since the early days of democracy, a small but determined band of people at SARS who fulfilled various investigative functions came to know every trick and scam in the book, and developed the expertise on how best to hold tax dodgers to account. Their cases often dragged on for years, with many of the defendants using every legal trick to fight back - but SARS never gave up. Van Loggerenberg also revisits events around the hollowing out of the tax authority post-2014 and brings the reader up to date on the extraordinary occurrences at SARS since the new dawn of the Cyril Ramaphosa era.
- Part 1. Early days. 1. Tax activist
2. Full circle
4. Pay now, argue later
5. The Iron Duke
6. Wheels of Africa
Part 2. The rise. 7. Many hands, light work
8. Stashed cash
10. The scams
Part 3. Fissures. 11. Dirty tricks
12. Death and taxes
14. Charlie and the rhinos
15. How the 'rogues' helped to save the Springbok
16. Oh Tannenbaum, oh Tannenbaum
17. The tax 'fixer' - Glenn Agliotti
18. Document '02'
19. The young man
Part 4. Rapid descent. 20. Walking quietly and carrying a big stick
22. It's a system, you see?
23. Fall from grace
24. Ivan's rugby ball.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 275-293) and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|