A companion to ancient Near Eastern art / edited by Ann C Gunter.
- Hoboken, NJ : Wiley Blackwell, 
- Blackwell companions to the ancient world.
Blackwell companions to the ancient world
xviii, 677 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Art, Middle Eastern.
Art, Ancient -- Middle East.
- This book covers the aesthetic traditions of Mesopotamia, Iran, Anatolia, and the Levant, from Neolithic times to the end of the Achaemenid Persian Empire around 330 BCE. It describes and examines the field from a variety of critical perspectives: across approaches and interpretive frameworks, key explanatory concepts, materials and selected media and formats, and zones of interaction. This important work also addresses both traditional and emerging categories of material, intellectual perspectives, and research priorities. The book covers geography and chronology, context and setting, medium and scale, while acknowledging the diversity of regional and cultural traditions and the uneven survival of evidence.
- The "Art" of the "Ancient Near East" / Ann C. Gunter p.1
Art and material culture / David Wengrow
Meaning and interpretation / Astrid Nunn
Style / Margaret Cool Root
Connoisseurship and classification / Eleonora Pappalardo
Visual culture / Sarah B. Graff
Technical examination and material analysis / Deborah Schorsch
Gender and sexuality / John D. M. Green
Semiotics, reception theory, and poststructuralism / Marlies Heinz
Representation / Dominik Bonatz and Marlies Heinz
Narrative / Paul Collins
Ideology / Beate Pongratz-Leisten
Ritual / Carolyn Nakamura
Agency / Sophy Downes
Aesthetics / Gebhard J. Selz
Statuary and reliefs / Claudia E. Suter
Glyptic / Adelheid Otto
Religious architecture / Jean M. Evans
Palaces and elite houses / Andreas Schachner
Rock reliefs and landscape monuments / Ömür Harmansa̧h
Reconstructing artistic environments / Mehmet-Ali Ataç
The ancient Near East and Egypt / Betsy M. Bryan
The ancient Near East and the Bronze Age Aegean / Marian H. Feldman
Near Eastern Art in the Iron Age Mediterranean / James Whitley
Archaeology and the art of the ancient Near East / D. T. Potts
Cultural heritage across the Middle East, ancient and modern / Geoff Emberling and Katharyn Hanson.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Acquired for the Penn Libraries with assistance from the George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Gunter, Ann Clyburn, 1951- editor.
George Clapp Vaillant Book Fund.
- Other format:
- Online version: Companion to ancient Near Eastern art.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|