Waste and wealth : an ethnography of labor, value, and morality in a Vietnamese recycling economy / Minh T.N. Nguyen.
- New York : Oxford University Press, 
- Issues of globalization.
Issues of globalization : case studies in contemporary anthropology
xxiii, 208 pages ; 21 cm.
- Recycling industry -- Social aspects -- Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
Refuse and refuse disposal -- Social aspects -- Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
Informal sector (Economics) -- Social aspects -- Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects -- Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
Ethnology -- Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
Migration, Internal -- Social aspects.
Refuse and refuse disposal -- Social aspects.
Vietnam -- Red River Delta.
- "This ethnography examines questions of value, labor, and morality underlining the translocal waste networks in Spring District, Vietnam. Engaging with waste as an economic category of global significance, this book provides an account of migrant laborers' complex negotiations with political economic forces to build their economic, social, and moral life from their marginalized position. It thereby makes visible how women and men seek to construct viable identities and meaningful lives in the face of stigmatization, insecurity, and precarity. It makes an important contribution to global studies of informalized economies and post-socialist transformations, adding to knowledge about how the forces of globalization blend with local historical-cultural dynamics to shape economic and moral lives"-- Provided by publisher.
- Mobility, networks and gendered householding
Labor, economy and urban space
Uncertainty, ambiguity and the ethic of risk-taking
Mobility, moral discourses and the anxiety of care
Rural entrepreneurship, local development and social aspirations
Money and consumption : gendered desires, class matters
An exemplary person, the poor and the limits of remaking
Conclusion : the political economy of remaking.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|